500mm macro session

Actually used the 300 2.8 with the 1.7 tc.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the ISO and when back at the house found it set to 400. may try it again this weekend.

These do show some promise but man what a beast. Not something I would want to lug around the gardens. Working distance pretty go but not great.

Abstract
31841898-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mirror
31841895-L.jpg

31841893-L.jpg

31841894-L.jpg

Greg:

These are awesome 8) #2 is a great capture! Any estimate what your working distance is? I'm trying to get an idea of how close I need to get to capture a butterfly.

Thanks!

Greg,

Excellent shots. The 300 2.8 (with and w/o TC) makes a pretty darn good close-up lens, huh. 8) Only problem is that you've got to be very, very steady. The results speak for themselves though. :wink:

G

Gordon Large

Hi Greg -

These are incredible captures. They look like they were taken with a macro! What range of distances did you shoot at? By coincidence I just posted some butterfly pix taken with my 300/4. The result was some pretty nice images (IMHO), but it was awkward backing up all the time to get into focus range. At least I was maneuverable with an easily hand-held lens. Did you hand-hold your beast? If you did, what gym do you go to?

Gordon

THanks for the comments. If I'm not mistaken the closest was about 6 feet. yup, had to back up several times. not much of a field setup. did have it on a gimbal mount on standard tripod.

If I try it again I may take the flash.

I have never thought of using my 300mm f2.8 lens as a close up lens. It is a heavy beast and not condusive to being hand held. You have done well and I may even give it a shot.

Latest threads

Top Bottom