500pf + 1.4tc part 2

Real Name
Randy
in good light this is a good surprise (to me anw
DSC_0074-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
D05_7804-Edit.jpg
D05_7798-Edit-Edit.jpg
D05_7793-Edit.jpg
D05_7766-Edit-Edit.jpg
ay)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Interesting comparison, Randy! The first one has a very sharp eye and surrounding feather details,wide open at f4.

The 500 pf with 1.4 tele is f8....and still doesn't have the resolution of the 500e @ f4. Not that they are bad, they just don't stand up to the 500 e. and yes, I realize they are at 700mm. But strictly talking about I!, that 500e is outstanding!

The 500mm f4 is simply stunning.
Only photographers or other trained viewers can tell the difference- and then really only when there are other images to compare.
But even saying that -it is just better.
I love my nikon super primes, even though I am lazy and rarely shoot with them anymore.
gary

Real Name
Randy
The 500e pic wasn't supposed to be posted.
I am very impressed w the 500pf + TC. It's way better than I expected (in direct light anyway).
The 500e is what all 500s are compared to

Real Name
Randy
Interesting comparison, Randy! The first one has a very sharp eye and surrounding feather details,wide open at f4.

The 500 pf with 1.4 tele is f8....and still doesn't have the resolution of the 500e @ f4. Not that they are bad, they just don't stand up to the 500 e. and yes, I realize they are at 700mm. But strictly talking about I!, that 500e is outstanding!
I didn't intend to post that 500e shot but the 500pf + tc is very surprising and I need more DOF anyway. In the past week I've tried all 3 bodies on both lenses and the winner is not what I expected. The D5 is the king. I thought the D850 would win at lower iso but there's something about D5 files that make it the winner. The z6 held its own very well on the IQ front but AF is a show stopper for me. You notice the AF issues way more when compared to the D5 and D850. My D500 wasn't invited to the shoot off?

Real Name
Randy
The f/4 experiment was fun for iso but only 500mm for smaller birds meant too much crop. The 1.4 tc is so amazing on the 500e and 5.6 is better for dof the 500e + tc was the winner.

Real Name
Dan
I'm surprised how good the bokeh looks at f8. Thanks a lot for posting this. Makes me regret selling my 500 f4 :(

Real Name
Randy
I'm surprised how good the bokeh looks at f8. Thanks a lot for posting this. Makes me regret selling my 500 f4 :(
I'm right at MFD so these are close to full frame hence nice bokeh. I'm so close stopping down doesn't add that much to the bird sharpness. At 5.6 I'm better off waiting for more parallel poses.
For me right now the 500e on a tripod is easier than HHing anything

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I didn't intend to post that 500e shot but the 500pf + tc is very surprising and I need more DOF anyway. In the past week I've tried all 3 bodies on both lenses and the winner is not what I expected. The D5 is the king. I thought the D850 would win at lower iso but there's something about D5 files that make it the winner. The z6 held its own very well on the IQ front but AF is a show stopper for me. You notice the AF issues way more when compared to the D5 and D850. My D500 wasn't invited to the shoot off?
Of course the D5 is king! And you have learned that one doesn't have to shoot wide open just because you can. The D850 is only slightly behind the D5. Hence it is a great back up to the D5 and my go to camera for everything else. ISO 64 shooting for architecture and landscapes is a dream!

Glad you are out shooting! My cameras are just laying around the house.......

Real Name
Andy
The 500mm f/4E is indeed stunning. The PF + TC-14 is no slouch either, at least in your capable hands. I am still working on getting the results from that combo that should be achievable.

Real Name
Randy
Of course the D5 is king! And you have learned that one doesn't have to shoot wide open just because you can. The D850 is only slightly behind the D5. Hence it is a great back up to the D5 and my go to camera for everything else. ISO 64 shooting for architecture and landscapes is a dream!

Glad you are out shooting! My cameras are just laying around the house.......
i think alot of shooters think the D850 is king and that when you downsize, high iso is the same but I never thought either. Forgetting ISO and MPs there is a special look from D5 files.
I'm only shooting because it's out my backdoor. Somedays I'm so medicated I'm surprised I can still shoot. The move to the tripod was very helpful as well. As easy as the 500pf is to hold the Wimberly is literally nothing to hold

Real Name
Randy
The 500mm f/4E is indeed stunning. The PF + TC-14 is no slouch either, at least in your capable hands. I am still working on getting the results from that combo that should be achievable.
there is a certain look you get from Nikon's long glass that is hard to describe and most viewers don't even see it but we see it

Real Name
Randy
I'm back to PPing and I noticed that D850 files don't do well at 1/250. The D5 gets more keepers at that SS. Shooting that slow is very new to me. In the good ole days I'd never go below 1/400, for a perched bird that is. And to think all those ISO dollars I wasted :)

Real Name
Randy
here's a D850 shot
850_7221-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Interesting. I'd still use the faster shutter I could on the D5 while trying to keep the ISO at 800 or lower. Heck even ISO 1600 is a piece of cake for the D5. When an exciting photo ops comes along, I wouldn't trust the odds of getting consistently sharp images when shooting 1/250th with a focal length of 500mm or more. But that's just me......

Latest threads

Top Bottom