500PF does Eagles

Last week while out on Prince William Sound we went out of our way to seek out some eagles. We spent two nights anchored in a smallish cove where a pair of them were actively feeding. The area was small enough that they came into decent camera range several times. They quickly habituate to the presence of the boat and pretty much ignore it.

D850/500mm PF, handheld
1/800s, f5.6, ISO1000

1) The bird made one pass at a fish and waved off at the last second. He quickly circled around and this shot is just as he was straightening out and lining up again.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)For some reason I rarely get shots like this with level wings.

3)Last second adjustments...

4) The buffer was still clearing shots from the first pass and this was the last frame before it stuffed. So I missed the actual grab :mad:

Last edited:
Absolutely top notch Dan, a testament to the lens ability to acquire focus quickly and your abilities of tracking properly.
Thanks, Louie. Ironically the lens is so small/light that it takes a bit to work out a stable shooting position with it. But beats weight lifting :)
Wonderful!
Thanks, Nick.
Excellent work Dan..
Thanks for commenting, Bob.
Thanks, Randy. If it's any consolation it was a cold morning.
Great series. My favorite individual image is 3 due to the banked position.
Allan, I agree with the banked position. I've got a couple of doozies in that regard that I'll post when I get around to them. But no pretty water BG in those.
Excellent!
Thanks, Alex.

Glad you enjoyed the post, Luis.
Awesome series!
Thanks, Jeff.
Thanks for commenting, Darrell.
Beautiful!
Thanks, Andy.
Now we're all so envious! Wish I could have been there and you sure got some very nice images!
Thanks for commenting, Andreas. We are blessed to live in a place where we get to witness such things first hand.
Superb testament to the photographer (patience, planning, execution) and his gear (great combo of lens and body).
Thanks, Bill. Time in the field and the right kit in your hands. There's no substitute for either one.
Great shots. I guess the 500PF is a top notch lens in capable hands such as yours.
Dale
Thanks, Dale. Each piece of equipment has its place. IMO the 500PF now occupies the top position for shooting BIF.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom