50mm 1.2 AI-S = very niiiice

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Candidcameraman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. This is your brain @ f1.2

YourBrain.

This is your brains in the Lens Lust forum (still @ f/1.2)

View attachment 247811

These are some pictures captured at f/1.2

View attachment 247812

View attachment 247813

View attachment 247814

View attachment 247815

View attachment 247816

View attachment 247817

This one was captured @ f/2 just to show I am not a wide open only kinda guy

View attachment 247818

And this one at f/4 (It does have variable aperture up to f/16 but yea I do tend to shoot it wide open most of the time I use it yet I am always surprised by its sharpness closed down a little...)

View attachment 247819

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    :eek:  Man that's some razor thin DoF! Love that shot with the gal and her backpack...I get the feeling like I am the one taking the picture. This lens does a pretty good job at retaining a lot of detail even at f2 and f4.

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I love those egg shots Dude. Thanks for sharing

4. Nice shots! Wow...I wouldn't mind having a lens such as this!

5. great thread, patrick
    you have all the nice glass
    and... i'm glad to see the excellent and obligatory shot of the "woman"

thanks for the thread

6. Thanks it is a fun lens

You are most welcomed

Thank you - it is a really fun lens

I don't have all the nice glass but do have some really fun glass :wink:

7. I'm hungry for some egg! :D 
    I'm falling for this glass... Beautiful captures DUDE!

8. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Looks like some nice PR for your lens Dude! Why are you selling it??

9. Thank you, it is a great glass which has very nice DOF and bokeh at pretty much all apertures.

Thank you, it is a range on the FX format I am not too fond of, I have both the 50/1.4 and 50/1.2 ... I just do not use it enough.

10. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I guess you prefer the 1.4, then? (Or are you selling both?)
    Someone recommended I get it (1.4) over the 1.2, but well, it's not for me, but my husband chose the 1.2. Hopefully it will be here in the next two weeks and he'll get to test it out!

k

11. K,

I actually prefer the 1.2 but if a lens is going to stay in my bag unused for long period of times might as well keep the less expensive of the two... Who knows I might even sell the 1.4 as well and later on get another 50 when the times come... I really liked the 1.4 in museums like at the Louvre but between the 1.2 and 1.4 I do prefer the 1.2 images (and really dig the 1.4 AF...)

The mistake I did was to put the 1.2 on my D2Hs yesterday and really like the focal length on the cropped sensor when I prefer the 35mm on the FX sensor...

The 50/1.2 is a very small lens compared to the 35/1.4 .... Like the 17-55/2.8 this is a lens I regret selling but I am not using it...

12. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Interesting. We have the 50mm f/1.8 and I considered getting the 50mm f/1.4, but then my husband got into photography and is interested in low light capabilities. We don't have the $ to get a FX body or NOCT right now, so he decided on the 50mm f/1.2 I used the 50mm a lot in the beginning, but now have found my ideal range is the 24-70mm. I rediscovered the 50mm for food photog, but haven't had a chance to try out the 35mm.

Unfortunately, I went to the "best stocked" photography shop in Rome yesterday and found that they have no light stands. I have to call back in October to see if they have any in. What a joke! I just bought an umbrella just in case, since they only had two of those...

13. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    No backing out Dude, that lens is mine:biggrin:. How about posting a few more sample capture's. I would love to see more street shots with my new lens:smile:

Gregory

14. Sure ... I'll keep it for the week and go street shooting with it or... I could go out like yesterday and use the 105/1.8 :wink:

Backing out... Here's an idea :eek: 

15. K,

I have found the price in Europe for camera gear and equipment to be outrageously high. I miss the 50/1.8 I had first purchased, the sharpest lens I ever had... As much as I like the 50/1.4 I found that it was not worth the extra dough for what it gives you (or doesn't) compared to the 50/1.8 ...

The thing is that the 50/1.2 is worth the price considering you get great bokeh even stopped down a little but I am a sucker for AF even when I love the older MF lenses... I'll probably sell the 50/1.4 in the future and buy myself a 50/1.2 it is so small and perfect for that price point.

Of course, a NOCT would be great but try finding one...

16. Saw one on Ebay this a.m. Its in FL, bidding starts above USD3000.

17. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I ultimately decided that the 50mm f/1.4 wasn't worth the upgrade either. And the 50mm f/1.8 is so cheap, there's no excuse to not have one in your kit. I would have never bought the 50mm f/1.2 for myself as I find the 50mm on DX a bit...not my cup of tea unless I am photographing a cup of tea...

I buy in the U.S. when I'm home for holidays or otherwise, so I don't fool with European prices. I also find being forced to buy in USA and stock up because what is on offer at least here in Italy in terms of rentals / accessories is quite limited or as you rightly point out, outrageously expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.