1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

50mm 1.4 or 35mm F2

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by basharar, Jul 2, 2008.

1. 50mm F1.4

25 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. 35mm F2

28 vote(s)
    52.8%
  1. I am about to pull the trigger, 50 1.4 or the 35 f2, which one gives better IQ/bokeh, the 15mm is not a big concern,, neither the lower f stop, I like to walk!

2. although I have never tried either lens, I just got the 50mm 1.8 and it has excellent IQ/boken. I would imagine that both lenses would be very close to mine as far as quality...

it really depends on if you are going to do close ups or slightly further distance. oh and the lower f stops definitely would make a difference I would imagine (even though it does concern you)

hope this helps?!

3. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Sounds like you are describing the 50mm f1.8 then. Great IQ, great bokeh and less funds to purchase.

Not really apples and oranges, but close. The 35mm f2 is a great lens as is the 50mm f1.4. Good luck with your decision, hard to go wrong with either!

Edit to add that for "my" style of shooting I love the 35mm f2, so that is where my vote would go. I have the 35mm f2 and a 50mm f1.8.

4. This is the shot that sold me on the 35 :smile:

5. Wow that is a great shot. I was originally sold on the Sigma 30 1.4 but I'm now rethinking it. I can get the 35mm for less and use the leftover money for a long zoom lens like the Sigma 70-300 APO.

6. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I use DX and I prefer the 35.

7. Indeed both are great lenses. Like others, I find the 50mm more useful (in my opinion) on the FX format.
    I have never used the 35mm lens wide open but I will check it. In the middle apertures range it works very nicely and it is sharp enough for me.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

8. jadog2

jadog2

Dec 18, 2007
    SF
    You said you are mainly interested in the difference in IQ & out of focus rendering?
    I'm afraid you will mainly hear everones opinion on the useful 1. focal length or 2. aperature of these two lenses since both are great performers.

Since I currently own BOTH.... I have a prefrence base on how "I" shoot.

The 50 1.4 gets the most use by far. I shoot lots of low light indoors and I can reach the shutter speed of 1/80 with the 50/1.4 lens easier than 1/50 with the 35/f2 lens.
    I also prefer how the 50mm lens renders out of focus areas as well as how it renders the subject. Its a bit more romantic to me than the 35/f2.
    But thats just ME.
    You will find inspiring images made by both lenses.

-jason

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  9. It really depends on what you prefer to shoot. "Tastes great / less filling."

I also own both for a DX camera and find them excellent for their own uses. My 50/1.4 is better for low-light -- sharper at f/2 and of course it has f/1.4. It works great for portraits on a DX camera. The 35/2 is a great "leave it on your camera" lens and you can foot-zoom much of what you need.

Bokeh on the 50mm isn't too bad but you have to be a bit careful about the background. The 35/2 might be a tad better but with its shorter focal length and my preference to shoot it at f/2.8 or smaller, it doesn't make much diffference to me.

10. Thanks guys for all the advice, the reason I am so confused is because I have the 85 1.4, and I am planing on going FX and I sold all my zooms, so is 50mm to 85mm more useful or 35mm... confusing!

11. In this case, get both. If you're ready to drop the cabbage needed to go full-frame, an extra lens should be an afterthought. The 50 will be a "normal" lens, and the 35 will be a "normal/wide" lens.

I own both and can say that they're both wonderful performers on DX bodies.

Here's an example of what the 35 can do....

DSC_3283.

and the obligatory 100% crop...

View attachment 219962

And now the 50 1.4...

_DSC0939.
    NIKON D300    ---    60mm    f/3.2    1/6s    ISO 200

12. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    My vote is for both. There both so great, its like trying to decide which child you love more. There both so special and differnt and wonderfull. Love them both and each has there place. Making the choice either or kind of diminishes there individual infinite value.

13. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I vote for the 35 f2. It will be my next purchase. For me, I have too many lenses covering the 50mm or fast aperture ranges. For example, I have the 60 f2.8 Micro and the 85 f1.4, not to mention a couple of zooms which cover 50mm or close. Therefore, for an APS camera, the 35 f2 is far more usuable. Your mileage may vary depending on what you already have. The 35 has a 52mm field of view on an APS camera.

14. The B

The B Guest

That looks as unhealthy as i'm sure it's tasty.
    As to the lens decision: I think the 35mm is a bit more versatile on DX, like the 50would be on FX. I sold the 50/1,4 because i just couldn't stand the plastic, nevertheless it's optics were great. It all boils down to a matter of preference. And preferences need no inferences. Just buy what you like most.

15. Both are great lenses, but they do different "stuff". This isn't a question of which one, it's more of a which one FIRST.... You'll want both if you really want to play.

I voted for the 50 first, because if you push yourself to use it near the wide open mark you'll really learn to love depth of field fun....

After you've played with the 50 for a while, then the harder choice is one where you have to pick between the 30mm 1.4 Sigma and the 35mm F2 Nikon.

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sig 30, nik 50 and 85 1.4's -> the perfect prime trio.....;-)

17. I resemble that remark....... :biggrin:

Kap...
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Misc: D300 / D40 / S51 / SB800 / SB600 / Bogen-Manfrotto 3221 + 490RC4.
    Primes: 30mm 1.4 / 50mm 1.4D / 60mm 2.8 AF-S / 85mm 1.4D / 105mm 2.8D / 180mm 2.8D.
    Zooms: 18x135 DX / 18x200 DX VR / 55x200 DX VR / 12x24 4.0 DX / 17x55 2.8 DX / 70x200 2.8 VR.

18. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Just get 'em both, you can always sell one for about what you purchased it for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.