50mm 1.4 v 1.8 great read

Not too surprising though, most people do buy the 1.4 50 or 85's for the shallow dof and bokeh they provide wide open. There is no doubt the Nikon 50mm 1.8 is a fantastic performer for the price. I still have mine and would never sell it for the peanuts they sell for used.
Here is one with the cheapie $100 1.8
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would they bother with such an article? This has been beat to death. Choose the 1.8 for price, the 1.4 for separation, and the Sigma 1.4 for bokeh. Nothing too difficult here.

Why would they bother with such an article? This has been beat to death. Choose the 1.8 for price, the 1.4 for separation, and the Sigma 1.4 for bokeh. Nothing too difficult here.

My guess is they 'bothered' because the vast majority of people do not live in a "Lens Lust" forum, myself included. I also found it interesting that shooting at the middle apertures they claim the 1.8 outperforms.

Same old misconception--the only difference between the Nikkor 50 mm f:1.4 and f:1.8 is the 2/3 of a stop difference. If you've lifted and felt either one and read the specs, you'll know they're not the same lens. If all you're interested in is the price and f-number, get the 1.8. For build quality and possibly long-term reliability, get the f:1.4.

Bruce, who owns the Nikkor 50 mm f:1.4 and 85 mm f:1.4

I just did a impulse buy ..... 1.4D for $330
there was a couple comparison with 1.4 D vs G both have 5 year warranty $100+/-
seem most said distortion with the Af-s G

Thanks for posting this.
I think the article discusses the performance of these lenses on FX cameras, I think for DX it's another story.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
PS: I had the 50 1.8 and I got the 1.4D instead....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom