50mm 1.8 red spot appearing?

The problem is the digital medium ie-the 1X1.5 factor. If you have a lens hood that is for 75mm length. you should not have this problem. I use this lens for about 95% of all my shots and have only come across this a few times when I use the lens for macro, reversed mounted. This is the BEST lens you can buy on a pound per pound basis. Check out my website for further proof.

T

Tucker

The ghosting on this lens when mounted to a digital body has been noticed by many, and is caused by the relective surface of the sensor. As Daniel says the use of a more appropriate lens hood helps slightly (I use the HN-7 hood) but certainly does not elliminate the problem. Hopefully some time in the future Nikon will coat the rear surfaces of the elements to reduce sensor reflections.

N

nfoto

The version of the 50/1.8 influences the result as well. I'm using an early (AIS) 50/1.8 and it most assuredly hasn't any tendency towards producing a hot-spot, while this is not the case with the current AF 50/1.8. Most hot-spots seen by me show the classic "normal noise" pattern to indicate it is really stray light from inside the mirror box which eventually ends up at the imager.

This issue is much more pronounced in IR photography, by the way.

Latest threads

Top Bottom