50mm Differences?

Real Name
Chris
Is there a 1.8g? The 50mm f/1.4 G lens is AF-S and will autofocus on the 3100. The 50mm f/1.8 D is an AF but not AF-S lens and will not AF on the 3100, but it will manually focus with metering and focus confirmation.

As far as I know, there are (nearly) no differences between the 1.8 and 1.8 ver.2, other than external appearance. The D as explained by Ken Rockwell

The biggest difference with D lenses is using flash and with subjects occupying only a small part of the frame. The distance information lets the newest cameras get the correct flash exposure, while with non-D lenses the camera has to guess harder.

AF-D work the same as AF lenses, even in difficult flash situations. The only difference I could see was if I had a backlit shot with an object in the foreground. If you focus on the foreground the image attempts to expose the flash for the foreground object, and if you focus on the background, the foreground object becomes too light

Another improvement is if you want to photograph straight into mirrors. Without a D lens you'll get underexposure because the image of the flash in the mirror fools the meter into underexposure. With D lenses you'll get a properly exposed image of a bright flash. I've expended film on this foolishness so you don't have to.

I personally has the AF1.8 and it's a superb lens. Small, light, and very sharp. No complains here, and not bad at all for ~$100.

The AF-S G lenses has no aperture ring, has silent-wave motor and can be used on lower end camera bodies that has no screw drive. I suspect it should focus and track faster as well.

af5018.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1.8 ver.2
afn5018.jpg

1.8 D
afd5018.jpg

1.8 G
nikkor50mm1.jpg

af5014.jpg

1.4 ver.2
afn5014.jpg

1.4 D
afd5014.jpg

1.4 G
afs5014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Phaseshift, if you want autofocus on your D3100 (and you probably do) you need to stick to the AF-S lenses, either the 50mm f1.4G AF-S or the new 50mm f1.8G AF-S.

Ryan's pics are very helpful in distinguishing the versions - just one thing the 35mm f1.8G is shown where this one's picture should be.

nikkor50mm1.jpg

btw I completely forgot what the f.18 <-- meant can someone explain please simple and straight forward

Probably just easier to refer to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

But here is goes anyway:

The F-number (focal ratio) is a measure of how much light the lens lets into the camera. It is basically the ratio between the focal length of the lens and diameter of the aperture. So the smaller the number the more light is let into the camera.

The smaller the number the more light the lens is able to let expose film or sensor. So you will be able to take a picture with the same exposure but with a faster shutter speed.

The difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 is about 2/3 of a "stop". A difference of 1 stop is letting twice as much light into the camera.

I can go on... But I think I'm over explaining things...

can someone explain please simple and straight forward

Simple and straight forward? The lower that number, the bigger the opening = the more light your lens lets in = could buy you precious stops when trying to shoot low light.

The lower that number also means more bokeh = more background separation for your subject.

Real Name
Chris
F-stop numbers:

Generally the bigger the number, the smaller the hole (also called the aperture) that lets the light into the sensor is. So a lens with a f/1.4 lens lets in more light than does a f/1.8 lens - when the lens is used at it's largest aperture (also called "wide open".)

In addition to letting in more light, bigger apertures (smaller f-stop number) give you a thinner depth of field. Having a thin depth of field lets you focus on a subject, and have the background be out of focus.

Lenses with smaller f-stop numbers, like the f/1.4 lenses, are generally more desirable than lenses with larger f-stop numbers, such as f/2.8. Therefore, the smaller the f-stop number is, the more expensive the lens is. Lenses such as the new 50mm f/1.8 G (thanks for ll the references!) are a compromise between capability and cost. The older 50mm f/1.8 D was regarded as one of Nikon's best 50mm lenses ever, with a lot of photographers preferring the way it made pictures to the more expensive 50mm f/1.4 D.

Unless you were shooting in very low light, and needed the extra 2/3's more light. Today's high-sensitivity digital cameras are not so needy of large lens apertures since you can turn up the iso to 800 or 1600 without degrading the image for the same effect in low light.

Real Name
Chris
... The lower that number also means more bokeh = more background separation for your subject.

Actually bokey is slightly different than more separation. It refers to the way that the out of focus part is made, and how smoothly the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus is. Some faster lenses have "harsh" bokey where blurs are rendered with outlines and doubling of lines. The 50mm f/1.4 D is known for having harsh bokey.

Harsh bokey is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact many photographers prefer the oof region of a photo to have some structure, as this provides visual interest.

Real Name
Chris
it's the age you are allowed to vote for your president in the US, if you are registered - same her in germany, if you like to be elected here in germany, you need to be 21

Very interesting Tom, but I don't think that's what was being asked.

ps, in the US, you need to be 35.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but also consider the amazing Sigma 50 1.4. It will autofocus on the D3100 because it has built-in motor (HSM)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom