50mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Pa, Dec 14, 2005.

1. My local camera shop has an old 50/1.4 for sale that looks just about like this:

5014ais.

He's asking $90. Is it worth buying? I have a 50/1.8, but no other low-light lens.
    My cameras are D70 and D70s.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Here's a review of that lens.

You know that it will not meter or (obviously autofocus) on your camera, right (or does the 's' meter with non-chipped lenses?)

4. Please pardon my ignorance, but how can one tell if the lens is "AI" or "non-AI"?

And what does this mean?

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's AI. The prong has holes in the ears is how you tell. Non AI does not view at full aperture - the lens gets dimmer when you stop it down in the viewfinder.

6. This site says pre-1977 Nikkors should not be mounted on a D70, D70s, or D50.

Please note that the picture posted above is not of the exact lens I am considering, but of a similar one posted on Ken Rockwell's site. I just remember that it had a silver prong like the one in the picture, but I don't remember the exact configuration.

I'll check again tomorrow.

7. Raindog

Raindog

Nov 26, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    For $90 I would certainly pick it up if the glass is pristine. With a D70 you will have to do your own metering or use a handheld.

8. O.K. I've found out what "AI" means => Auto Indexing.

9. Derrel

Derrel Guest

There's a Speed Notch milled into the back of the lens mount on Ai-S lenses....it's sort os a half-circular indentation located just above 9 o'clcock as you look at the back-end of the lens,and it first allowed the Nikon FA to sense focal lengths of lenses,which boosted Shutter Speeds when longer-length lenses were mounted( the S is for SPEED-sensing I guess you might say). AiS lenses also had the minimum aperture in ORANGE paint. Even though I can't see the minimum aperture, I can see orange paint on the DOF scale markings. The ilustrated lens is a 50 1.4 Ai-S Nikkor, and $90 is about all I would pay for it. I have one--it's okay,nothing great,andf I would frankly rather use the 50 1.8 AF Nikkor,since it focuses better and meter-couples and gives EXIF info. Adding this will not get you much,since it'll probably exhibit CA when shot wide-open...any AF 50 would be a better lens for most situations. I'm not really "sold" on the 50/1.4 Ai or Ai-S on modern digital cameras unless the body can metrer with it (D1-D2-D200).

10. Hi Derrel- Good to see you.....Peter

11. Derrel

Derrel Guest

Hey,and you as well Peter!

Hey, it's great to see you too Peter! I'm this close to buying that 120-300 Sigma some come track season,I'll have it. Wishing you the very best in 2006 and as always my wish to you is "Happy Shooting!"
    --
    Derrel