50mm F/1.8 AF-D

Lusting after this lens, I sold my old one thinking I would get the f/1.4 model, but soon after decided I did not need to go that route... Now locating another one in used condition, that has been well cared for, and is not the same price as a new one is next to impossible!

I will just have to settle on a 300mm F/4 instead :p

Will that make me feel better?

50mm F1.8 AF-D

July 24, 2008

I just purchased a second 50mm F1.8 AF-D Nikkor lens from B&H out of New York City earlier this month for $110.00.

To buy one used without the warranty, (and without knowing it's history) so you don't know if it has been dropped, knocked out of alignment etc will probably only save you about $20.00 or so for a used version.

This lens is so good, and inexpensive that I would recommend that you just get a new one for $110.00. The lens takes 52mm filters, and uses a Nikon HR-2 rubber lenshood, but a generic hood will work. This lens is excellent and it is capable of giving good quality images even used wide open. However, if you stop it down to the F4 to 11 range it will produce images with eyepopping sharpness, color quality, contrast etc.

Considering the small difference in price, I would just recommend in getting a new one.

Call some of the other big New York City dealers such as Adorama, J&R, TriState in case B&H is out of it. The other stores may have it in stock. Also, skip the grey market version of this lens, the US version is only $5.00 more and you get 1 year of warranty coverage, plus Nikon then extends it for 4 more years, so for an extra $1.00 for each year, the cost difference is so minor it is nothing to worry about.

I hope that my comments and suggestions have helped you.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY

Thank you all for your comments, I have a new 50mm in my bag now (although it has not been in it much!). I will never sell this again, unless Nikon comes out with an AF-S version and a non-G one at that :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom