50mm f/1.8 error

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wbeem, Apr 16, 2007.

1. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I don't use this one often, but I had need for it this weekend. Of course, that's when my 50mm f/1.8 decided to give me some error number instead of an aperture.

What means --> fEE?

2. Lock it to the smallest f stop (ie f22) should be an orange tab to lock it with.

3. Check to make sure the aperture ring on the lens is locked down.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Astounding. I never even knew that little switch was there. Thank you both for pointing me in the right spot so quickly.

5. Glad we could help!

6. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I had that problem when I got mine way back when I didn't know jack. I thought I bought a dead lens.....then I read the manual. :)

7. Just to know..

Hi Wbeem,

of course, several lenses made in the '90s (D type, and some older) have this kind of red switch, since with all the latest nikon cameras you set aperture from the two dials (the rear one if you are in mode P, the front one if you are in A or M) but they give you the ability to use newer lenses on older cameras where you had necessarily the needing to set aperture via the lens ring. Every Nikon (and non nikon lens) on a new Nikon Camera must be ALWAYS locked with that switch, otherwise you will get an FEE error.
    No problem for newer G-type lenses since they haven't any aperture ring any longer.

All the best