1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

50mm f1.4 AF-D vs 50mm F1.4 AF

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by oz388, Aug 13, 2008.

1. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    Hi guys, I'm wondering how much different are f1.4D AF and non-D AF version lenses compared each other on a DSLR camera? I know the non-D version is producted around 90s, it looks very old to me. So can I assume the build and proform quality of f1.4D is a lot better than the non-D version?? And how much a non-D version cost today??

Thanks!

2. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    They are optically exactly the same. The only difference is the D-function and some minor changes to the casing (like the aperture lock).

I had a non-D 1.4 but I sold it because of serious focus errors on my D70S. Waiting for the mythical 1.4 AF-S now..

3. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    So the non-D version will have focusing problem on DSLR?? How much did you sold it for? Thanks!

4. jbacc

jbacc

Apr 1, 2006
    United States

I do not have a 50mm non D lens, but I do have a few other Nikon AF non D lenses. I have never had a problem with them on any of my cameras. In fact, I honestly have never noticed any difference between the D and non D versions. IMHO, you won't either.

Joe...

5. I had a non-D version of the 50 1.4 and it focused and worked 100% on my D50.

6. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The "D" lens transmits the focus distance to the camera. This is sometimes useful for flash photography where the distance to the subject is used for calculating the power of flash required. For non-flash photography I doubt it makes much difference.

7. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    Not necessarily. MY copy had focussing errors which were probably caused by the D70S (altough all my other lenses focussed properly). The lens worked flawlessly on my F5.
    I sold it for around €100 to a shop just to get rid of it.

Still thinking about getting a 1.4 AFD or waiting till photokina. I'm slowly rebuilding my primes collection again.

8. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    Thanks guys! I found a local guy who is asking for $180USD for his AF non-D f1.4 lens. Do you guys think it's a good deal considering the lens must be near 20years old?! (I had a f1.4 AF-D but I sold it for $240, now I miss it!)

9. gvg45

gvg45

Jun 16, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    $180 sounds like a fair price if the lens is in good condition, however there is a new 50 f/1.4 AF-S due out in September....:smile:

http://www.technologically.net/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.