50mm f1.4 AF-D vs 50mm F1.4 AF

Hi guys, I'm wondering how much different are f1.4D AF and non-D AF version lenses compared each other on a DSLR camera? I know the non-D version is producted around 90s, it looks very old to me. So can I assume the build and proform quality of f1.4D is a lot better than the non-D version?? And how much a non-D version cost today??

Thanks!

They are optically exactly the same. The only difference is the D-function and some minor changes to the casing (like the aperture lock).

I had a non-D 1.4 but I sold it because of serious focus errors on my D70S. Waiting for the mythical 1.4 AF-S now..

They are optically exactly the same. The only difference is the D-function and some minor changes to the casing (like the aperture lock).

I had a non-D 1.4 but I sold it because of serious focus errors on my D70S. Waiting for the mythical 1.4 AF-S now..

So the non-D version will have focusing problem on DSLR?? How much did you sold it for? Thanks!

So the non-D version will have focusing problem on DSLR?? How much did you sold it for? Thanks!

I do not have a 50mm non D lens, but I do have a few other Nikon AF non D lenses. I have never had a problem with them on any of my cameras. In fact, I honestly have never noticed any difference between the D and non D versions. IMHO, you won't either.

Joe...

The "D" lens transmits the focus distance to the camera. This is sometimes useful for flash photography where the distance to the subject is used for calculating the power of flash required. For non-flash photography I doubt it makes much difference.

Not necessarily. MY copy had focussing errors which were probably caused by the D70S (altough all my other lenses focussed properly). The lens worked flawlessly on my F5.
I sold it for around €100 to a shop just to get rid of it.

Still thinking about getting a 1.4 AFD or waiting till photokina. I'm slowly rebuilding my primes collection again.

Thanks guys! I found a local guy who is asking for $180USD for his AF non-D f1.4 lens. Do you guys think it's a good deal considering the lens must be near 20years old?! (I had a f1.4 AF-D but I sold it for $240, now I miss it!)

Thanks guys! I found a local guy who is asking for $180USD for his AF non-D f1.4 lens. Do you guys think it's a good deal considering the lens must be near 20years old?! (I had a f1.4 AF-D but I sold it for $240, now I miss it!)

$180 sounds like a fair price if the lens is in good condition, however there is a new 50 f/1.4 AF-S due out in September....:smile:

http://www.technologically.net/

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom