50mm F1.4 AFD vs AFS

Hi all,

I made a bad decision by selling away my 50mm F1.4 AFS G 2 months back and regretted it utterly....
now I am thinking of getting it back but am hesitating because of the loses incurred due to my previous sale...
now am thinking of the AFD one which cost about $300 less...
would like to find out users of both lenses.... should i just bite the bullet again and get back the AFS or save $300 by getting the cheaper AFD version...

thanks!

Get a used 50G AF-S. You should be able to pick one up for close to what you sold yours for. I wouldn't bother with 1.4D.

If you now think you were actually happy with your 1.4G, you might be disappointed by buying the D.

I had the 1.4D. Smaller and lighter, maybe faster to rack focus on a pro body though not as precise in adjustments. But not as sharp in some apertures and had more purple fringing. I wouldn't go back (though I supplement the 1.4G with a Sigma 50/1.4 that I like more).

What body you shooting on? I quite like the 50mm 1.4d on my D700 but imagine the G version renders a nicer image. The micro contrast and sharpness blows the D out of the water but the D has really nice flare which is a little too controlled in the G from what I've seen.

What body you shooting on? I quite like the 50mm 1.4d on my D700 but imagine the G version renders a nicer image. The micro contrast and sharpness blows the D out of the water but the D has really nice flare which is a little too controlled in the G from what I've seen.
hihi... i am using a D700....
the G is really sharp wide open... and renders great colors...
but i recalled i had some frustration shooting with it... the AF is a bit slow to catch my son's movements... hee

The AF-D can be quicker to focus in decent light, but overall I prefer the AF-S for its better optical quality and usability on small bodies. Both are great.

The price difference used is only about $100-150 USD.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom