50mm f1.8 + 1.4TC + 68mm tubes

Getting bored lately with my macro stuff so thought I'd switch it up. This is a completely different setup and VASTLY different to shoot with. I'd guess this is somewhere in the 2.5:1 range with this based on comparing it's magnification to my other setups.

Brief Notes:

- Much easier to shoot with than my 180mm with tubes.
- Much shorter working distance than the 180mm...going from roughly 10inches with the 180mm and tubes to about 2 inches with this setup.
- Better DOF despite shooting at a smaller aperture.
- Nowhere near the IQ as my Tamron 180mm and tubes.

I really like the smaller working distance of 2 inches (4-5 would probably be my dream working distance). With the Tamron 180mm I will often have to "hunt" around in the viewfinder to find the object....with this setup I could nail straight on the subject within about 2 seconds.

What it's told me is that I REALLY want a Tamron 90mm now as it seems like it would fit in the gap...90mm w/ tubes would give me higher mag than the 180mm, less working distance (good), more DOF, easier handholding, and identical IQ to the 180mm.

Now that I've bored you to death with the above junk...here's some photos with the 50 + TC + Tubes. I won't be shooting this much anymore as the IQ just isn't good enough to make me happy.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Top Bottom