50mm F1.8 vs 85mm F1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jul 6, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    How much of a dramatic difference is there between these lenses? I own the 50mm F1.8 so I'm very familiar with what it can do. Is the 85mm F1.8 really going to be worth $339 if I already have a 50mm F1.8? I'd pretty much be shooting wide open - F2.8 whenever I can.

2. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Depends what you shoot normally. They are very close in term of sharpness but 85/1.8 looks better if you shoot portraits. It has a special "feel" in the pictures. There's a reason why 85mm is considered the portrait FL. 50mm is better for general photography which includes landscape. I do, however, like 50mm better since it's smaller in size and cheaper in price.

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Price was the main reason I bought the 50mm F1.8 in the first place. I had just purchased my D70 and wanted something in addition to the kit lens. Sight unseen I bought it and am still blown away with the lens up to this day. I do and I don't like how light it is. It's definitely not nearly as well built as my 24mm F2.8 or my friend's older 50mm F1.4. But for $100 I can't complain too much.

4. IMHO, the 85mm is FAR "better" than the 50mm. I have both and the images from the 85 are spectacular. The 50mm is just OK wide open and needs to be stopped down to F4 ish land to hit the sweet spot.

Bottom line get both.............. mainly because the 50mm is so cheap and the 85 is so good.

YMMV
    JohnG

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Nikon needs to make a 35-85 F1.8 zoom. :biggrin:

6. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Put me on the waiting list, too :)

7. I have both. Almost never use the 50mm (ever). I prefer either the 35/2 or the 85/1.8. 50 is just "not close enough" or "too wide." I do find some use for it in the house for low-light stuff of my 2yr old, but that's about it.

8. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Just give me all three on a turret so I don't have to choose! I'll pretend it's an old Bolex Super16 camera :biggrin:

9. richinnj

richinnj Guest

The 85mm 1.8 is worth every cent - and more. It's vastly different than the 50mm and will open another window for you that you didn't think was there.
    rich

10. I would recommend looking for one used, they can often be found for $250-275. :smile:

11. Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the great discussion. I have been thinking about both of these lenses. Which do you think would be better for shooting basketball, where we have such great lighting in the gym?

12. Whatchu talking about boy! :wink::smile::biggrin:

Here is a shot taken with the 50/1.8 wide open... I think I have found the schweeter spot than the stopped down at F4 ... What do you think..?

aQuintet12.

Taken with a D70s and 50/1.8 at 1.8 using the SB-600 :smile:

What I found was the quality of images I obtained with the 50/1.8 are just as good as those obtained with the 85/1.4 this said - I took a different type of pictures with the 50 than I do with the 85 and I used the 50 mainly wide open vs. the 85 which I tend to stopped down at F5 to F8...

13. For basketball the 50mm would be great.

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i have em all and like em all (35f2, 50 1.8, 1.4 and 85 1.8)...but i don't see how u can compare a 50mm lens to an 85mm. they're both bargain glass, give u a diff look so why not own both?

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i found my 50 1.4 the best for bb. however, i absolutely hate shooting girls bb ..lol
    :eek:

16. Why do you hate shooting girls BB? Do you have any depth of field problems with the 1.4? Do you actually stop it down to 1.4 or do you use a higher f-stop?

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

girls bb is goofy ...they're all over the place...yes i shoot wide open, the lighting in our local gym really bites!!!

18. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The 85 is great for girls basketball. This one was taken in the darkest gym I've ever been in... f/1.8 @ 1/160:

[​IMG]

This one in a bright gym... f/2.0 @ 1/750

[​IMG]

Focusing can sometimes be imperfect with the action...

[​IMG]

I don't have a 50, but I don't think I would be able to get as close as I'd like.

19. Cabrams

Cabrams Guest

I agree completly. Plus the 85mm is built well enough to last where as the 50mm needs to be handled with kid gloves if you want to see it through the next 5 years.

Corey