50mm or 85mm for a FF indoor lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AdamJ, Jul 31, 2008.

1. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    I would like to pick up a fast prime for indoor available light use, and I haven't quite decided on 50mm or 85mm.

I got pretty used to a 50mm on a 1.5 crop (~74mm) but I do admit at times I was scooting backwards to get my entire kid in the shot, but only 3-5 feet. I'm worried 85mm may be too tight. On the other hand 85mm is a focal length I don't currently have with the 24-70.

50mm on the FF is very nice since the 24-70 is 'defaulted' on that FL, I end up using it more often. The 50mm focal length requires me to close in a bit on my son to fill the frame, but its nice as I can get wider shots when company is over, etc.

I'm also probably deciding on the 85mm f/1.8 vs. the 50mm f/1.4 since they are so similarly priced.

I'm interested to hear from other full frame owners on their experiences and opinions. Thanks!

2. For indoors I've already used both. I use the 50 for full body, and the 85 for head and shoulders shots. I couldn't be without either.

The Beast is also nice, but ISO has to go up to make it fast enough indoors. But I guess that's not a problem, huh?

3. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    I have both too & use both.....the 85mm will give you the new length.....& as long as you can back up it is fine.....I guess you can shoot the 50 & crop too......

4. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Well of course I had to have both, so I'm heading to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 later today! I could have 'just' got the 85mm f/1.4 for a bit more then the two, but I feel good with the combo as is...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.