50mm or 85mm for a FF indoor lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AdamJ, Jul 31, 2008.

1. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    I would like to pick up a fast prime for indoor available light use, and I haven't quite decided on 50mm or 85mm.

I got pretty used to a 50mm on a 1.5 crop (~74mm) but I do admit at times I was scooting backwards to get my entire kid in the shot, but only 3-5 feet. I'm worried 85mm may be too tight. On the other hand 85mm is a focal length I don't currently have with the 24-70.

50mm on the FF is very nice since the 24-70 is 'defaulted' on that FL, I end up using it more often. The 50mm focal length requires me to close in a bit on my son to fill the frame, but its nice as I can get wider shots when company is over, etc.

I'm also probably deciding on the 85mm f/1.8 vs. the 50mm f/1.4 since they are so similarly priced.

I'm interested to hear from other full frame owners on their experiences and opinions. Thanks!

2. For indoors I've already used both. I use the 50 for full body, and the 85 for head and shoulders shots. I couldn't be without either.

The Beast is also nice, but ISO has to go up to make it fast enough indoors. But I guess that's not a problem, huh?

3. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    I have both too & use both.....the 85mm will give you the new length.....& as long as you can back up it is fine.....I guess you can shoot the 50 & crop too......

4. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    Well of course I had to have both, so I'm heading to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 later today! I could have 'just' got the 85mm f/1.4 for a bit more then the two, but I feel good with the combo as is...