50mm with Kenlock super wide

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by vincebeus, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Hello,

I tested some new equipment that i got recently. I bought a 24mm F/2.8 and it had a Kenlock convertor on it that converts it to super wide (fisheye) 0.42x. It makes with the 24mm really circulair pictures. So i took it off the 24mm and put it on the 50mm F/1.4 lens i have with the same thread of 52mm.

Now i got on my D70 some interesting pictures and i love the first photos with it. (i have not tested it on my d2x yet because i am testing a 170-500mm F5-6.3 Sigma lens on it).

Here are some results with the 50mm F/1.4 with Kenlock convertor Super wide 0.42x on the Nikon D70:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Looks like a nice combination. My favorite is the 2nd picture. Some questions:

1. Does it require you to increase the exposure (wider aperture, longer shutter)?

2. How does it influence DOF? This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if it behaves like a 50mm x 0.42 = ~21mm lens?

3. Are there any limitations as to the maximum aperture?

4. How is the AF working? I.e. are there any problems focusing? This may not be a problem at all, considering the wide angle and the large DOF associated with it, but nevertheless.

5. How does it work in low light? I use a 50mm 1.4 AI-S and could use such a converter for indoor photography. But it would have to work at f1.4.

3. Looks like a nice combination. My favorite is the 2nd picture. Some questions:

1. Does it require you to increase the exposure (wider aperture, longer shutter)?

I shot outside did not notice any increase yet.

2. How does it influence DOF? This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if it behaves like a 50mm x 0.42 = ~21mm lens?

It is really much wider. So i think you are right about that it becomes a 21mm lens. Because i wanted to make the comment who needs full frame with the right extender.

3. Are there any limitations as to the maximum aperture?

The maximum aperture stays F/1.4 for the 50mm that i used.

4. How is the AF working? I.e. are there any problems focusing? This may not be a problem at all, considering the wide angle and the large DOF associated with it, but nevertheless.

It worked normally so i noticed no strange focussing. But i tested only one shoot so far so i must go out to test it more.

5. How does it work in low light? I use a 50mm 1.4 AI-S and could use such a converter for indoor photography. But it would have to work at f1.4.

I will have to try it out tonight with the 50mm F/1.4 how it will work. So i will get back to that how it works on the F/1.4 and few settings wider.

Keep you posted.

4. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    I like them all, very good DOF and vivid colors.

Regards,

John

5. Thank you John!

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for the answers, Vince. I look forward to seeing more of this combination. Looks very interesting. The results are convincing, too.