1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

51pt 3D focus results?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Anybody with a D700 been able to put the camera to the test using 51pt 3D focus tracking, versus the (awful) D300. Does the 700 really track fast, like the D3? Or slow, like the D300?

2. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Good question !

3. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Funny how this seems to be the question on most people's minds but yet no one has given an answer. The first thing I would be doing after getting the batteries charged is running out shooting moving cars, kids on bikes, someone at the park shooting baskets, skateboarders, dogs chasing cars or frisbees or anything to test the tracking. All the portrait and still life stuff would come later. Those aren't exactly things that tax the camera's abilities.

Someone wanna loan me a D700 so I can see for myself? C'mon...give us more stuff to be jealous about and drool over and get out there and test that tracking.

4. Serious? The D300 is awful?

5. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Okay...I'm heading out...

6. I had intended to test this afternoon at a park with my daughter, but it was so darn hot and humid, we didn't have much action to track!!! Plus, I never used it with the D300, so I would not be a good one to provide comparative comments. I do find the AF to be faster than the D300, but I am not a good reviewer and can't tell you how... (how helpful, eh????)... lol...

7. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    LOL - well said, James, but I am very interested in that.

I am in doubt if I shall buy it or not.

The main-reason for me is not FX,because I use Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 10,5 fisheye + hemi.image.trend to make WA-pics, and I am satiesfied with that (I know there is more advantage to the FX), and the 70-200VR is fantastic sharp on my D200.

The main-reasons for me is the iso-performance, ...and... if it is up to the D3 in focus tracking, because I shoot my sons soccer/football (he is pro. and at the national team, the proud father says), and therefore it means a lot to me and I am happy for Harry.s question/thread here.

I do not know how the D300 performs in that AF-area.

8. in the 51pt 3d mode it is.

9. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

10. My D300 and grip came in literally 30 minutes ago. Can you elaborate on what kind of issues it gives you? Is it just with fast moving subjects or is it with anything that moves?

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Fast moving objects. I say ditch your D300 and go for the D3 :tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

12. Ahhh, touche'! :redface::biggrin:

13. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal

From video clips I've seen of D700 demos, I don't think 51-point 3D tracking is suited for bif because the sensor would be jumping all over the viewfinder. I think 9 or 21-point with continuous servo would be better as long as you keep the subject is the same relative place in the viewfinder. That way the camera uses the data from the sensor and the surrounding sensor to focus.

But your pigeons looked good to me for someone who doesn't shoot birds. Was it able to lock on quickly or did it hunt around? The fact that there was quite a bit of contrast helped. I would like to see how it works in lower light with moving targets.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, I'm still experimenting different setups. I took these test shots with:
    1. Auto-area AF
    2. Continuous-servo AF
    3. Manual mode
    4. Continuous high (5 frames per second)
    5. Auto ISO

Basically point and shoot with those test shots, I let camera does its job. Fast focusing and tracking, and not much hunting around. However, due to multiple targets on different focal planes, it had the tendency of focusing on random targets sometime. Again, I don't shoot birds, so I don't have much knowledge on different bird shooting techniques.

15. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I use my d300 in 51 pt tracking my dogs as they play fetch, and it works flawlessly.

16. Harry,

Many of the shooters on http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/index.php use 51 point 3d very sucessfully. They all use the D300. Maybe you should give it another try.:smile:

Gene

17. It's that in 51pt 3d mode, the D3 siezes upon and erratically moving objects like BIF with a vengence; the D3 lacks processing power and the tracking is so slow and "behind" as to be essentially useless. The feature is there; it simply isn't usable for much.

18. I'm not only reporting my experience but also the experience reported by many others on many other forums. Perhaps there is a learning curve we don't know, but my understanding is that what we experience is simply a non-issue on the D3. So naturally, the question arises as to which model the D700 most resembles.

19. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Again, i'll state that i disagree. Although i haven't tried BIF, it tracks my eratic dogs with no problems.

20. I don't want to argue since I don't have that much first hand experience (none with the D3) but this has been a perception/issue for many D300 owners since it came out....it has nothing to do with wanting to buy a 700.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.