1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique 52 Weeks of 2018--Urbanflyer Week 49

Discussion in '52 Weeks' started by urbanflyer, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Very interesting composition. Kind of rule of thirds with the bottom corner clipping off - I really like it as it seems to break the rules!

2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Thumbs up Judith!
    You'll do the 52 week run again.
    I'm sorry to say I'm not in this year, because I am only at home on the weekends...

Please show us that fantastic pictures like last year
    Klaus

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes--I appreciate the impetus to shoot regularly. I actually did some work on this week's CS. Thanks for that as well!

4. Your week 2 image looks so good with colors and patterns, great eye!

5. Thanks!

6. Attached Files:

7. I really like your "eye" for graphical textures and colors. Weeks 1 and 2 are terrific, both of them. And Week 3 is a lovely sunset shot. I look forward to seeing your work as it unfolds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Very lovely. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. I like the composition in general, and really like the mist on the "chop" ..... really does convey that cold winter ocean feel. As to the blow out, onscreen not a problem for me .... just a way of conveying the luminance. If printed....that's a different story.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lovely image Judith. I can see some masking artifacts on the upper right of the frame at the edge of the leaf, but it can be fixed easily.

11. Very nice image Judith. Misty islands look powerful enough , so I don't get distracted by the blown out parts.

12. I will fix them! Thanks for looking

13. Week 6--Urban Stairway--Seattle

Seattle is a city of hills, though some were flattened in the early 1900's so that horses and cars could more easily get up and down. Nonetheless, there are many places in Seattle where public stairways connect parts of the city. I have wanted to play with wider angle lenses and this seemed like a good place to start.

39481156404_26c525d018_c.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Urban Stairway--Seattle by urbanflyer, on Flickr

14. It is an excellent place to start. And all that rainfall/moss just adds to the photo.

If I may make a suggestion based on my own explorations of the wide angle, I have come to prefer framing this kind of shot so that the stairways (up or down) widen just to the corners of the frame. In this case, that would require moving back. To get some idea of what I am talking about, mask the shot from the top of the third step up. The of course gives a horizontal layout, but backing up would give a similar effect in the vertical. Of course, this is an artistic decision and you are the artist ... so this is just my suggestion, nothing else. Have fun playing with the lens(es?). I used to think I was a tele only guy, but then fell in love with wide angle for a lot of things.

15. Thanks for your thoughts!

16. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    The stairway is an incredible picture, Judith.

Reminds me of 187th Street in NYC...

Regards
    Klaus

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.