Critique 52 Weeks of 2018--Urbanflyer Week 52!!!!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thumbs up Judith!
You'll do the 52 week run again.
I'm sorry to say I'm not in this year, because I am only at home on the weekends...

Please show us that fantastic pictures like last year
Klaus

Week 5--Rialto Beach winter surf.

Went to Rialto Beach for a few days to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Rainy and cold--just like our wedding day! I tried converting this shot to b/w but couldn't make it work. Not sure if the blown out right hand corner is a problem or not.

View attachment 1596008Rialto Beach winter surf by urbanflyer, on Flickr
I like the composition in general, and really like the mist on the "chop" ..... really does convey that cold winter ocean feel. As to the blow out, onscreen not a problem for me .... just a way of conveying the luminance. If printed....that's a different story.

Week 4: Remnants of Christmas

My husband has taken to getting a couple of poinsettias for Christmas cheer. Since I am a little physically limited for another 4 weeks I decided to focus on something indoors and that would stay still while I worked slowly.

View attachment 1595333Remnant of Christmas by urbanflyer, on Fickr
Lovely image Judith. I can see some masking artifacts on the upper right of the frame at the edge of the leaf, but it can be fixed easily.

Week 5--Rialto Beach winter surf.

Went to Rialto Beach for a few days to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Rainy and cold--just like our wedding day! I tried converting this shot to b/w but couldn't make it work. Not sure if the blown out right hand corner is a problem or not.

View attachment 1596008Rialto Beach winter surf by urbanflyer, on Flickr
Very nice image Judith. Misty islands look powerful enough , so I don't get distracted by the blown out parts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Week 6--Urban Stairway--Seattle

Seattle is a city of hills, though some were flattened in the early 1900's so that horses and cars could more easily get up and down. Nonetheless, there are many places in Seattle where public stairways connect parts of the city. I have wanted to play with wider angle lenses and this seemed like a good place to start.

Urban Stairway--Seattle by urbanflyer, on Flickr

It is an excellent place to start. And all that rainfall/moss just adds to the photo.

If I may make a suggestion based on my own explorations of the wide angle, I have come to prefer framing this kind of shot so that the stairways (up or down) widen just to the corners of the frame. In this case, that would require moving back. To get some idea of what I am talking about, mask the shot from the top of the third step up. The of course gives a horizontal layout, but backing up would give a similar effect in the vertical. Of course, this is an artistic decision and you are the artist ... so this is just my suggestion, nothing else. Have fun playing with the lens(es?). I used to think I was a tele only guy, but then fell in love with wide angle for a lot of things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is an excellent place to start. And all that rainfall/moss just adds to the photo.

If I may make a suggestion based on my own explorations of the wide angle, I have come to prefer framing this kind of shot so that the stairways (up or down) widen just to the corners of the frame. In this case, that would require moving back. To get some idea of what I am talking about, mask the shot from the top of the third step up. The of course gives a horizontal layout, but backing up would give a similar effect in the vertical. Of course, this is an artistic decision and you are the artist ... so this is just my suggestion, nothing else. Have fun playing with the lens(es?). I used to think I was a tele only guy, but then fell in love with wide angle for a lot of things.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom