1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

52mm Reversing Ring Question BR-2 v. BR-2A

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by onefear, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I found an old BR-2 reversing ring and wondered if I could use it with my D40 and 50 1.8D. This is a BR-2 and not a BR-2A. The latter apparently (see also here) is the recommended one for digital cameras, and I certainly do not want to damage the D40 body. Before I adopt a careful try it and see approach, does anyone have any experience with the BR-2 and any Nikon digital bodies? I assume that it is the the lens contacts at the top of the mount opening that we are worried about? I was hoping that D40's ability to mount a wider array of Nikon lenses than the D70 on up would translate into being able to mount the BR-2, but it gets very tight very fast. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The BR2A is identical to the BR2 but has a little more cut away from the mount so it clears the CPU contacts in AF and Digital cameras. If you try mounting it on your D40 you'll find that it jams part way on and won't move any further.

3. How right you are. Darn. I was able to take a couple photos holding the lens up with it partially mounted. That was fun. Time for a BR-2A!

4. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I have a BR2a and find that I cannot mount a reversed 28mm F2.8 AIS lens as the BR2a thread is inadequate! I'm not sure if this applies to other lenses. Nikon make no mention of it as far as I can see.

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I just tried my 35 F2 with the BR2A an it works. Holy macro batman, Minimum focus at OO is about 2 1/2 inches. I got a nice picture of the Middle part of my finger print. Love the D3 big sreen for chimping. And trying it on my 24 2.8 AIS , yes it see's my finger as well but even closer. I bounced a SB-800 off the ceiling an even at 5.6 the depth of feild is very narrow. Kind of cool though. My finger print looks like one of those sand dune photo. Im going to convert it to B+W
    I used the BR2A on my 50 F2 before before I got a real macro.
    Grab the ring, there really fun . Especially used with flu medicine. ( Im beginning to realize Im a total geek) and I dont even care :smile:.

6. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    That's an understatement. I find I have to stop wa-a-ay down before I get any kind of usable DoF with a reversing ring...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.