55 AIS macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Beezle, Aug 22, 2005.

1. I've been beginning to try manual lenses on my D2X. And so far I am very happy with the results.

I will note that trying to focus on toddlers with such a lens takes an amazing amount of patience and practice, but I am getting there.

Here are a few crop examples. Not meant to be final images, just examples of what this lens is doing for me. I find the contrast is better, detail looks more real, etc. than similar lenses I've tried. I would guess the rather simple design is why.

These are both shot with an SB800 mounted in a small softbox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. saturnine

saturnine Guest

Gorgeous images! I still love using my 55mm Micro...old optics with this kind of quality never dies!

3. Oh, yeah.
    And what a palpable joy it is to feel the little click-click-click of the indents in the aperture ring...and the silky turn of the focusing ring.
    Simple pleasures in life, eh?
    I recently had my old 55 micro cleaned and lubed...which fixed the sticky diaphragm blades and put it back into service. Additionaly I found a minty 70's made 105mm 2.5. Same joys built into it.
    I feel some more old Nikkors calling to me from out there somewhere.
    Maybe a 20mm or 28. A 135? and old 400 f4.5 would be nice.
    Thanks for posting. I'm with ya'.

Oh, and don't forget to plug in the non-CPU lens info so the D2X gets the EXIF and visible aperture readout right. What a great machine, huh?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
  4. The D2X's handling of non cpu lenses is a great feature. I hope they do the same to the next DSLR (D200?).

5. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    If they make the D200 more amenable to the older AI/AIS lenses it will become an automatic buy for me. Even with the D70 and doing everything by hand, it is almost impossible to get that same quality of experience with newer lenses at a reasonable price. I now have some cosmetically dubious but optically marvellous lenses for bargain prices: 20/4, 28/2, 35/1.4, 55/2.8 micro, 105/2.5, 135/2.8, 200/4 micro, 300/4.5 ED. They all function as designed and each is a testament to the nikkor design/build of yesterday. But let us not spread the word, the 105/2.5 for example is now commanding much higher prices than a year ago and I think it is because all those new Nikon DSLR owners are starting to get the message.

6. I am trying to decide between the 105 AIS and the 105 DC lens.

The whole DC thing is intriguing to me, though I have yet to see an example of bokeh that was obviously nicer because of it. Still, they seem to have a nice character about them.

Character is the word I like to use to describe the quality of images from these older lenses. They have that in spades.