1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

55 mm f/2.8 micro ais vs. AF 55 mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by grt_napa, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Does anyone have any comparative experience or observations concerning these lenses? Thanks!

2. There's at least one major difference other than the obvious AF vs MF: the AIS only goes to 1:2 without an extension tube, while the AF goes to 1:1. I'm not sure how useful 1:1 is at 55mm (I've virtually never used such capability) but apparently some folks must...

I have the AIS version and its performance for both macro and distant subjects is excellent. Razor sharp - like essentially all macro lenses - and great color.

3. Hmmmm Good question

I looked it up and there is a wealth of infomration about both at this website: 55 Micro AI-S and the 55 AF Micro

I have the AF version and an older F3.5 version, just love both of them, bt after reading the text I realize what an ugly lens the af version is compared to the older AI-S, Optically it is great though.

4. Thank you...most helpful. I own the 55 AF Micro and based on the information provided in this thread just purchased a 55 Micro AI-S. I think I will engage in some serious comparison testing and then post my impressions. With my best,

5. For what it's worth, Ron Reznick is a big fan of the AIS version. I'm looking for one myself - any leads?

6. They are readily availble on Ebay - they come up pretty often. Have you tried Keh.com? The AF version is not often there...

7. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    Jim, I recently picked one up on eBay for a very reasonable price. There were quite a few to choose from. So far it's been very nice but I need to get out and spend a bit more time with it on a tripod.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.