55 mm f/2.8 micro ais vs. AF 55 mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by grt_napa, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Does anyone have any comparative experience or observations concerning these lenses? Thanks!

2. There's at least one major difference other than the obvious AF vs MF: the AIS only goes to 1:2 without an extension tube, while the AF goes to 1:1. I'm not sure how useful 1:1 is at 55mm (I've virtually never used such capability) but apparently some folks must...

I have the AIS version and its performance for both macro and distant subjects is excellent. Razor sharp - like essentially all macro lenses - and great color.

3. Hmmmm Good question

I looked it up and there is a wealth of infomration about both at this website: 55 Micro AI-S and the 55 AF Micro

I have the AF version and an older F3.5 version, just love both of them, bt after reading the text I realize what an ugly lens the af version is compared to the older AI-S, Optically it is great though.

4. Thank you...most helpful. I own the 55 AF Micro and based on the information provided in this thread just purchased a 55 Micro AI-S. I think I will engage in some serious comparison testing and then post my impressions. With my best,

5. For what it's worth, Ron Reznick is a big fan of the AIS version. I'm looking for one myself - any leads?

6. They are readily availble on Ebay - they come up pretty often. Have you tried Keh.com? The AF version is not often there...

7. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    Jim, I recently picked one up on eBay for a very reasonable price. There were quite a few to choose from. So far it's been very nice but I need to get out and spend a bit more time with it on a tripod.