5700 remebered (pics)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Thos Quinn, Aug 26, 2005.

1. I bought my first digital camera in 2004 (a CP-5700; I still have it and have since “upgraded” to a D70), my first home computer (an eMac that I still have), my first photo printer (an Epson 1280 that I still have) and Photoshop 7 (I have since upgraded to CS) all at the same time. This was prompted by an unexpected tax return and a yearning to get back into photography beyond the snapshot-take-film-to-drugstore level. I sure learned a lot with my 5700; not only the new digital world but a rekindling of my love for photography. So here is a trip down memory lane with a few of my 5700 images.

“Harsh Sun on Clam Beach” CP filter and shot into the sun
    original.

Remember how we would yearn for those good old days when we could get that shallow DOF with our film LSRs. Well, these two shots were photoshoped to mimic that effect. Sure did force me to learn selecting, masking, layering etc., etc. Those skills I continue to serve me well today.
    original.
    original.

Then, remember the joys of slow auto focus along with shutter lag. It forced me to prefocus and anticipate the action. Getting the three shots to make this composite was a challenge and involved much anticipation. Anticipating the shot has proved invaluable skill even with faster focusing and shutter response.
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl

Very well done. Great images and great PS work. kudos :>)))

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Great stuff Thos!

Like you I started in digital with a coolpix after using a 35mm slr for some time. Digicamming taught me to think of the image as raw material, not the finished product. This carries on to today, even though the output from my D100 is more like a finished slide than a collection of digital image parts. I still try to re-arrange the parts with P'shop.

4. Aw shucks, Ma'am

Thank you Gail. I certainly have come a long way since that first totally intimidating time I opened an image in PS7. I now feel at least comfortable enough to get back to photography at a level where lighting, composition, making my camera do what I envision, etc. is the basis of what I do rather than the “program”. But, then again, just all-out playing in PS is a blast! Again, thank you for the kind words.

5. I can relate

You know Chris I can relate. I started off way back when with a Mamiya Sekor 35mm SLR and had a makeshift darkroom. I always lost (enjoyed) myself in the darkroom more than the actual picture taking. Just could never understand why my roommate insisted using my darkroom as his bathroom. Anyway, as time and life’s circumstances changed (e.g., getting a profession, the birth of my son, etc.), I kind of migrated to shooting color and getting into the snapshot mode. I still took some decent shots but I sure did miss the darkroom. This digital thing is just great…. I now have a color darkroom where I can leave the lights on and get “lost” again.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Great thread, and nice memories there. I had a 5700 for around 5-6 months, but sold it to get the first of my two D70 cameras. I did manage a few keepers though that still earn a few dollars in prints once in a while.

Cheers

Wade

7. throw ball

really love what you did with the ball throwing pic. Good photos and excellent PS work