5GB microdrives - $150

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realeyz, Mar 7, 2005.

1. For those who may not know - you can get seagate 5GB microdrives from eBay. This could be great for the D2x users until regular flash memory comes down in price.

Microdrives are certainly slower than flash memory and more prone to failure, but at this point are much cheaper. I am not sure what the stats are on failure - if anyone knows please let us know.

2. That's a great deal per megabyte. Unfortunately I am such a clutz, I'll find a way to break it!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Don't like that word "FAILURE". Can you imaging being out on a shoot with 5 gigs and get home and have nothing. EEEKKK that is rather scarey to me.

Cheers
    Gale

4. Well Gale there is no such thing as a CF card that is immune to failure. I have only heard through various message boards that microdrives are more prone to failure than a flash memory based CF card. How much more - I don't know. I have a 4GB card that I use a lot and it's been working fine for almost a year. Many photogs carry smaller cards and more of them to minimize loss in the event of failure.

5. I like compact flash. I've washed my cf cards in the washer, and they still come out just fine. Not to mention I'm am very clumsy. I drop my cards all the time. I don't if microdrive cards would be good for me. :)

6. billT

billT Guest

Hi Gale,

Since my S1Pro days, I have been using microdrives. First the 1G IBM microdrives, and now a couple of 4G Hitachi microdrives. Of course I am always careful not to drop them. I am happy to say I did not have a single failure yet (knock on wood)

BillT.