600mm f/5.6 MF Ai (???)

One of these came up for sale locally. Anyone out there using this lens. I was thinking of using it for nature on a D3.
Jim

Iv got several old Nikkor super-telephoto's and they all are excellent on
the D3. The Nikkor 600 5.6 ED-IF is a really sharp lens(with good tech). I know a pretty famous Canadian wild life photographer(Whayne Lynch sp) used one back in the film days. I would grab a used TC-14B which will give you a 840 mm F 8 . The great thing about the 600 5.6 ED-IF is very light, thin(except for the end) and well balenced and only 200 grams more than the 300 2.8 ED-IF AIS. Dont worry about the 5.6 f/stop with the D3 veiwfinder and the high ISO manual focusing will be easy with some practice. Good luck with your choice. I really hope you get it, I know you will love it.

I shot one just last week on a D300. It is a damn fine lens, as long as you can focus it. It's also incredibly small compared to the 600/f4 and 400/f2.8 AFS lenses. It's about half the weight of the 600/f4 AFS II, almost three inches shorter, and more than inch smaller in diameter. That's a BIG difference! If you can focus it for the subjects you want to shoot, it's a great lens. We were hand-holding it at ISO 1600 and 3200 and got great shots of a resident pair of red-shouldered hawks.

I have the AIS-n version (that was the last incarnation) which is slightly different then the AI version. Great lens if you have enough light, and far more portable then my other super-teles. The only issue you may run across, espcially on DX cameras, is some color fringing (CA). Nothing terrible, but still there, especially on white birds etc.

I got mine in pretty rough cosmetic shape (great optically however) for about $1000, 2-3 years ago.

JCA

I own one, you will be very happy if you buy it. It is sharp, light, easy to hold. The D3 does a great job correcting the fringing, and at high ISO's you can handhold quite easily.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom