60mm 2.8 macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by panama, Jul 10, 2008.

1. I am considering this lens... I was wondering if anyone has samples they want to share.

2. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    Here are a few samples from the AF-D version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Both output very nicely. Sharper than sharp. Good corner to corner performance. Contrasty. The newer version has upgraded the handling of the lens. AF-S is very quick and the new barrel design gives a slightly different balance that I like better. And NANO coating.:eek:  With the older version's pricing being driven down by the newer version and the value of the new improvements make either a great acquisition.

Here's a few I shot when I first got the lens to get a feel for it and a few of my family. At full resolution, the images are pretty spectacular.

http://matsubayashi.zenfolio.com/p93574989/

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Everything I've heard is that the new AF-S version is sharper, especially at medium to longer distances. The new version is also seems to have really nice bokeh.

5. 006-1.
    Here's mine:tongue:
    sal

6. Uncle... Uncle Frank, wow on these images! Now I really lust for the 60mm macro!

7. Gnarl

Gnarl

Jun 25, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Very nice Frank. If you were to have only one mid-range prime would you recommend this one? I have a 50 1.8 now, but want to shoot some macro (mostly flowers) and think I might trade up from the 50 for the 60?

8. Tough call. When I started out, I opted for the 60 micro instead of one of the 50s. It was all about trade-offs... the big aperture vs. close focusing capability. If you can't decide which characteristic is more important to your personal style, perhaps you should consider the 35/2, which is in the middle. It focuses closer than the 50/1.8, and is faster than the 60/2.8.

9. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here you go...handheld using the 60mm AF-D.

2659684717_7d1ee79a86_b.

View attachment 216929

View attachment 216930

Things could be a bit more in focus if I wasn't so lazy about using the tripod. It's a great lens, I use it all the time...I have never used the latest 60mm AF-S but if they have improved on the AF-D it's gotta be killer!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.