1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

60mm AF-S review up at Photozone...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by paulskimcb, Sep 8, 2008.

1. johan1967

johan1967

Jun 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    I don't understand why this lens gets 4 stars for optical quality. To my opinion this is a little overrated, because it is not that fantastic on several aspects:

* CA
    * Sharpness
    * LoCA

Certainly for a brand new 60-mm lens I would expect a better resolution.

2. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    In terms of resolution it is better than the older lens, which I know to be absolutely first rate. In terms of CA it is comparable to the older lens (though they can only measure one form of CA). I have never seen CA on the older lens. Not ever and I use it every weekend. Rorslett makes a similar comment about the absence of CA. So I think it probably is a top lens. Though I am rather sceptical of these Imatest tests.

3. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    Ok, first, this lens shows some CA when you open the files in View NX. Open them in Capture NX2 and, surprice!, there's no CA left in the pictures! Whatever Nikon did with the lens, they corrected it in the CNX2 :biggrin:

4. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    That is also true of the 14-24mm lens. :smile: One point to note is that NX does not automatically turn on CA correction, whereas NX2 does. Even then NX2 CA correction is better, at least for the 14-24mm lens.

5. SicKb0y

SicKb0y

Apr 1, 2008
    Germany
    The AF-S 60 is a superb lens, no matter what "photozone" says.

Bjørn Rørslett:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

The AF-S 60 gets 5 of 5 points (DX and FX), the AF-S 105 just 4 (DX and FX).

6. Ill stick with my 50/2 makro planar.

Luckily the new 60 micro perform alot better then it looks and handle, lets hope Nikon change their design for their new primes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.