1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

60mm Micro New DX portrait FL?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by williamkazak, Aug 23, 2008.

1. I am wondering if the new 60mm F2.8 AFS is the new portrait lens for Dx.
    With the crop factor, it is 90mm.

2. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    well not sure.. but I am guessing that it is amazing on the d700 and d3!

3. It is an amazingly sharp lens at F2.8 already and has a very nice soft Bokeh, that on boththe D3, D50 and the D2X. I have used it for wedding portrits and it did really well. Love the color too!

The only ding it gets is that it is not doing so well for distance (a little bit less detail) but then again: it is a micro lens.

4. In the past, I have tried to make the Micro Nikkor's behave like ordinary lenses. I had the 105 F2.8 MF and AF versions. The AF version, had so much travel built into it that it would kind of rack in and out at times. Also, it was F2.8, which can be another issue of comprimise.
    I had the 55mm Micro F2.8 MF as well. It got a bit dim thru the finder when I was using it as a normal lens.
    I am considering the 60mm AFS because it becomes 90mm for portraits which is a very nice place to be.
    I like my 85mm F1.8 AFD but I am wondering why I am using a 127mm lens DX equivelent.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  5. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    her are a few of my little guy from the 60 af-s... I am sure all wide open:

351434625_p3GBm-XL.

362793422_KzZzg-XL.

362798421_fsHrW-L.

6. I just recieved my 60AFS this week. I compared my older 60 AFD with the new AFS at a distance, I considering returning it the comparison came out so badly in favor of the AFD. I checked calibration, it required a +8 adjustment in one body and a +10 in the other. After making the corrections I repeated the comparison, now it is probably the sharpest normal I have ever seen. Even full aperture at a distance is exemplary. I would suggest checking calibration, my lens is dynamite at a distance.

Gene

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.