60mm vs 85mm vs 105mm

I recently been practicing a lot of portrait shot and I been thinking of upgrading my glass (currently using 50/1.8) but I cant decide which one I should get. I been trolling around the forum and these three glass sorta popup as good for portraiture but which would be best for portrait and everyday use?

I recently been practicing a lot of portrait shot and I been thinking of upgrading my glass (currently using 50/1.8) but I cant decide which one I should get.

Your signature block lists the 50/1.4, not the 50/1.8. If that's what you own, you already have a fine portrait lens.

The 60/2.8 and 105/2.8 are macro lenses that can be used for portraits, but the best portrait lenses have larger apertures that f/2.8, which allows the photographer to control DOF for creative effect. So out of the 3 lenses you've listed, I'd recommend the 85, which is an excellent focal length for headshots. The f/1.4 version is considered Nikon's premiere portrait lense, but it's very expensive, and many of our forum mates are completely satisfied with the affordable 85/1.8.

Latest threads

Top Bottom