1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

650-2600 Telephoto?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by CharlesVincentPhotography, Aug 11, 2009.

1. So i was just looking around amazon at lenses, and i came across this

It seems really, iffy. Just wondering if anyone has any clue about this?

Im probably gonna get a 300mm f/4 after my D300, but im just wondeirng what eveyrone else thinks of this hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  2. i just saw that, im not going to buy this, im mainly just wondering what everyone else thinks of it.

3. f8-f16 means you'd have to shoot VERY brightly lit subjects like the SUN :) 

My guess is this lens would give you some very entertaining "holga-like" images.

4. I think it is more like one of those toy telescopes...

5. FisherPete

FisherPete

Nov 13, 2007
    Oregon
    My ex-wife used to refer to low quality diamonds as "frozen spit". I think the analogy might apply in this case.

6. Comparison to low grade gems is real compliment, for the price it is more like bottom of milk bottles being used for lens element. Considering it is zoom God knows how well optically it performs?

No doubt that this lens would be able to transmit some light onto the sensor (so does pin hole). It does not appear to have suitable tripod foot essential to stabilise such long FL lens.

I wonder who ever buys cheap tat like that, having said that in my formative years i splashed out big bucks (then for me) on tripod that turned out to be shall we say poor value for money.

To Charlie, forget it, if you want long reach get yourself 300 f4 and put 2xTC, if you need more reach than crop, you will still get better image than using that cheap pipe.

7. Junk!!!

8. The word I had in mind rhymes with "spit" :wink::biggrin:

9. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    stay away :) 

10. Oh i wasnt planning on buying this. no way in hell hahaha, im planning on going for the 300 f/4. i just figured this could give some people a laugh too.

11. I would say that this lens is for kids and in adults it would be for giggles. You are smart to be amused and not tempted.
    You of course would get much better photos if you put THREE 2X teleconverters on your 300mm f4 lens.

12. If I needed a lens that "powerful," I would definitely get into digiscoping - which I plan on doing anyway, but a little later down the road.

13. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    Hmmm...this seems like a great deal...NOT. Who would buy this? I mean the $300 price is attractive, but the quality???...I think not.

14. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    About 20 years ago my wife did some work for Bausch & Lomb. They had a product sort of like this, a monoscope with camera adapter that zoomed from ??? to 1000mm. With a 50% discount it cost 20 years ago almost $200. She bought it for me as a gift.

And it was unusably bad: impossibly dim, horrible sharpness. Put it on the camera once, used it a few more times as a monoscope over the years, and quietly threw it out just last year.

Unless you believe in miracles....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.