6th Grade Football

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Brew, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Bruce,

I think that these look pretty darned good to me. In the first image, the backlighting probably annoyed you but you can clearly see the tacklers face which is great. Cropping is a personal thing...but it is tight enough to be considered well done. Image 2 is pretty much the same comments, it is tough cropping too much and deleting faces of the other kids. Image 3...just a nice capture of a kid running for his life with the ball. You might consider copying this file to another folder and do a tighter crop to print for the player. And the last image, again...copy the file and do a tighter crop showing the runner and your son (maybe do a landscape profile rather than a portrait profile). You did a fine job with your images...let the addiction begin!!!!!

3. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks Frank,

I appreciate the advice and hopefully I’ll improve as more games are coming. The sun was pretty high up (12:00 noon) when we started and it was in and out of the cirrus clouds during the game. But I shouldn’t complain I shot my sons 1st varsity volleyball game and the lighting was very poor.

4. Good Shots

At the 6th grade level you don't have all those expensive stadia with beautiful backgrounds that make shooting college and the pros so much easier :wink: Good job!

5. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks Quinn,

It looks like a nice bright day tomorrow and I'm going to try it without the 1.7 teleconverter on it. The coaches are going to let me get right on the side line because they really liked them and they made me the official team photographer. They even linked my photos to from their league website.
    Oh and this time I’ll remember to set the ISO back to 200!!! I had it set at 500 or 800 from an indoor volleyball game I was shooting the previous night… :redface:

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I can only guess how many times our members have shot images then realized that they had the wrong ISO setting...been there/done that!!! I can't wait to see your images from tomorrow's game. The TC will offer some great reach so you can tighten up some shots when necessary. I think that you are going to have a great time this season, Bruce.

7. You have done well. The younger kids are more difficult to photograph because they have a tendancy to all descend on the ball instead of holding positions. Makes for some crowded situations.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good stuff...

boy they look tough like the big guys.

You must feed these guys gro-pup. :>)))