70-180mm micro question(s)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TedB, Sep 23, 2005.

1. First, I've learned a lot from everyone's questions and comments......and you've all had a significant effect on my credit card--but I'm not complaining and I thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

I recently acquired a used 70-180mm, in very good condition but without a manual. This venture into the macro world is completely new to me (I've done just a bit of playing with the 60mm micro), so I've got a couple questions:
    -what's a good entry level book to read on the subject of macro photography?

-I really need some help on why one would use extention tubes or close up lenses (ie Tom Hogan suggest either a 5T lens or tube for this lens.) The last thing I need is more stuff to carry, but if it would make the lens more usefull, then I'm OK with it. I don't know if it matters, but my initial subject(s) are intended to be flowers and insects.

Thanks

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

"Close-Up in Nature" by John Shaw is a classic text, you could learn a lot from it although the photography itself is a bit dull.

Extension tubes and zoom lenses don't go too well together, so I'd recommend the 6T.

3. Ted,

I can't help you get up to speed on macrophotography, but I can get you the manual for the 70-180. When Crystall got her 70-180, it came without a manual and I scanned my manual and sent it her way. If you want, it would be very easy for me to send you the scanned manual.

Glenn

4. I just ordered the Shaw book and appreciate the suggestion. It sounds like just what I need.

Tosh-A copy of the manual would be just great, thanks so much for the offer.

5. Ted,

I sent the 70-180 manual to your email address. It was a 5mb attachment. If it got blocked, let me know and I can send the pages as attachments to separate emails.

Glenn

6. The manual came thru just fine.

Thanks Again--now I'll have no excuses for poor pictures.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Paul,

It's on its way.

Glenn

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Discontinued lens, eh? Must be something of awful low quality then? We better hurry to buy the latest break-through among Micro-Nikkors instead of relying on this old-fashioned gear :biggrin:

Strange as it may sound, a majority of my shots are done with discontinued lenses. Maybe I learn their positive sides and stick to them, instead of lusting for something newer and flashier?

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;