70-180mm micro question(s)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TedB, Sep 23, 2005.

1. First, I've learned a lot from everyone's questions and comments......and you've all had a significant effect on my credit card--but I'm not complaining and I thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

I recently acquired a used 70-180mm, in very good condition but without a manual. This venture into the macro world is completely new to me (I've done just a bit of playing with the 60mm micro), so I've got a couple questions:
    -what's a good entry level book to read on the subject of macro photography?

-I really need some help on why one would use extention tubes or close up lenses (ie Tom Hogan suggest either a 5T lens or tube for this lens.) The last thing I need is more stuff to carry, but if it would make the lens more usefull, then I'm OK with it. I don't know if it matters, but my initial subject(s) are intended to be flowers and insects.

Thanks

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

"Close-Up in Nature" by John Shaw is a classic text, you could learn a lot from it although the photography itself is a bit dull.

Extension tubes and zoom lenses don't go too well together, so I'd recommend the 6T.

3. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Ted,

I can't help you get up to speed on macrophotography, but I can get you the manual for the 70-180. When Crystall got her 70-180, it came without a manual and I scanned my manual and sent it her way. If you want, it would be very easy for me to send you the scanned manual.

Glenn

4. I just ordered the Shaw book and appreciate the suggestion. It sounds like just what I need.

Tosh-A copy of the manual would be just great, thanks so much for the offer.

5. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Ted,

I sent the 70-180 manual to your email address. It was a 5mb attachment. If it got blocked, let me know and I can send the pages as attachments to separate emails.

Glenn

6. The manual came thru just fine.

Thanks Again--now I'll have no excuses for poor pictures.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Paul,

It's on its way.

Glenn

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Discontinued lens, eh? Must be something of awful low quality then? We better hurry to buy the latest break-through among Micro-Nikkors instead of relying on this old-fashioned gear :biggrin:

Strange as it may sound, a majority of my shots are done with discontinued lenses. Maybe I learn their positive sides and stick to them, instead of lusting for something newer and flashier?

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.