70-200 2.8 info

Hello everybody, I use my D7100 a lot and shoot a lot of automobile racing events, a good friend of mine recommended that I look into a Nikon 70-200 2.8 lens. I see a lot out there and am considering jumping in on a good used one. Can anybody offer any info for me to consider? Do I need to look for a particular part number or model that will fit my crop sensor D7100 vs one for a full sensor body? The VRII version caught my eye and budget. Thanks for any help you might lend, it would be greatly appreciated....

Thom Hogan usually gives a pretty balanced review here.

All of the 70-200 g and e variants are full frame lenses and should work without issue on your 7100. Just don't get the 70-200S version which is for the Z system and won't work on your camera.

Real Name
Andrew
F mount is f mount. I’d stay away from the first generation ones but any of the others are great.
Definitely buy used to save some money or also consider the Tamron alternatives. I owned both the original and the G2 and they are both optically very good.

If you are shooting only during the day, the lighter 70-200/4 is a good choice.
It is HALF the weight of the f/2.8 lens. After a few hours of shooting, that makes a difference in how your arms feels. The way I shoot sports, I can't use a monopod, as it restricts my arc of motion too much.
If you shoot off a monopod, then the weight of the f/2.8 lens won't matter.

If you are looking at 3rd party lenses, just be aware that the zoom ring on the Sigma lens turns in the opposite direction than Nikon. Tamron turns in the same direction as Nikon.
If you zoom with muscle memory, that WILL make a difference. Turn the zoom ring the wrong way, and you may lose the shot. For that reason, the zoom rings on all my sport lenses turn in the same direction.
For casual shooting, it makes no difference, as you just turn the ring the other way.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
The AFS 70-200mm f/2.8 G VRII sometimes is my standard walk around lens.
Great quality and in my opinion not to heavy...

Klaus

It is HALF the weight of the f/2.8 lens. After a few hours of shooting, that makes a difference in how your arms feels.
The f4 is a brilliant lens for an event shooter, especially if you're wearing a 2 camera rig for several hours.

i’ve had three of these (VR1, VR2 and now the E) each one has gotten better than the previous version. If you can find one that is in your price target, the E is a phenomenal lens.

It is HALF the weight of the f/2.8 lens. After a few hours of shooting, that makes a difference in how your arms feels. The way I shoot sports, I can't use a monopod, as it restricts my arc of motion too much.
If you shoot off a monopod, then the weight of the f/2.8 lens won't matter.

If you are looking at 3rd party lenses, just be aware that the zoom ring on the Sigma lens turns in the opposite direction than Nikon. Tamron turns in the same direction as Nikon.
If you zoom with muscle memory, that WILL make a difference. Turn the zoom ring the wrong way, and you may lose the shot. For that reason, the zoom rings on all my sport lenses turn in the same direction.
For casual shooting, it makes no difference, as you just turn the ring the other way.
This might be specific to one of the Sigma models, but my 70-200 f/2.8 doesn't spin the opposite direction.

I think it's a great lens, but a used VRI 70-200 Nikon is perfectly fine on crop. I'd stay away from it on FX though. I believe my Sigma can sell for between $400-600 and that VRI is about $600-800 used.

On DX I might be tempted by the VR1, given the sort of price it now goes for, unless a switch to FX is planned in the future. The major advantages of the VR2, better image quality in the corners and less vignetting, are largely lost in the DX crop. And the VR2 has pretty significant 'focus breathing' - when focused close at the long end, the focal length is reduced substantially. Although the D7100 is fully compatible with the VR1, VR2 and E, if you still have the older dSLRs mentioned in your profile (or any film body), note that they won't work with the E.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom