1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200 2.8 Vr

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by azkober, Sep 13, 2008.

1. azkober

azkober

Nov 8, 2006
    Arizona
    I want one. Can't find one. B&H is out of stock since forever. KEH only has one used one. Now I hear rumors of an upgrade? Does anyone have any reliable info on this?

2. There are always rumors that the lens is going to be updated. There's a chance it might be announced at the Photokina show later this month.

Please keep in mind that there were rumors that a replacement would be announced earlier this year at PMA. Then more rumors that a replacement would be announced before the Olympics. Then in the August announcements. I think you get the idea. All the rumors are just rumors.

The fact that the lens is out of stock does not mean an update is imminent. The lens has been perpetually out of stock for a few years now.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  3. the rumors about an updated version of THIS lens have been more long-lasting and far-reaching than most
    if they aren't going to replace it soon..... someone will have to explain why there NEVER seem to be any to buy

4. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Try Allen's camera... I bought my 70-200/2.8 there a couple months ago when everyone was out. He's a great guy to work with!

http://www.allenscamera.com/

5. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    i just purchased one this afternoon from Samy's Camera in California. $1665 shipped. www.samys.com

6. azkober

azkober

Nov 8, 2006
    Arizona
  7. Congratulations on the new 70-200VR!

Did you get it from B&H? They had stock on it a few days ago, and so did a number of other retailers.

Either way, have fun with it! It's not looking good for a new version at Photokina so the rumor fans are now saying WPPI next year. If I listened to the rumors -- new 70-200VR @ 2007 WPPI, then PMA, by-the-Olympics-for-sure, at the Nikon August announcements, Photokina -- I would have missed a ton of great shots!

8. azkober

azkober

Nov 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Thanks. I'm not sure what it is they would "update" on this lens so I finally jumped on a locally available copy. Wanted to buy it from B&H but their salesguy did his best to dissuade me. I should have ignored all the rumors and bought it a while ago but all that is water under the bridge now. I'm really looking forward to learning to use this lens.

9. Nikon is on a roll, in taking great lenses and making them even better in many respects. E.g. 28-70/2.8 --> 24-70/2.8, 17-35/2.8 --> 14-24/2.8. So I wouldn't put it past them to make the 70-200VR replacement better than the current one.

But I agree, if one has stuff to shoot and the funds to buy, waiting can be really counter-productive. Same goes for the 85/1.4 which is due to be replaced "any show/press conference from now" -- for the past several years.

10. azkober

azkober

Nov 8, 2006
    Arizona
    If they ever build an 18-200VR with the 70-200VR build quality and IQ then I'll get a second mortgage to buy it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.