1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200 / 80-200

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bipinsnair, Mar 20, 2011.

1. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    Hi all,

Considering a fast zoom to replace my 18-200 VR.70-200 VRii is a little out of my budget and I am looking for a used 70-200 2.8 VR1 or a new 80-200 2.8 AF-D.Used 70-200 VR1 is about 300 to 500 $ more than new 80-200.My question is weather the VR makes a big difference ?I tried 80-200 at a local shop and I could go up to 1/50 shutter speed with sharp images and once I go below that ,it wasn't good (may be hands aren't good).As for the color and contrast ,the images with 80-200 is almost like the one from my 24-70 2.8, to my eyes.Also ,the focus was slow on D90, which is expected.I would probably be able to live with that ,but I would like to know if I can get sharper images with even slower shutter speed with 70-200 VR1.
    I would like to know what you all think !
    As for the used 70-200 VR ,even though I know that quality may vary and will depend on each individual cases , will it be ok to get that is about 4 to 5 year old ?
    Your advice / recommendations are most welcome.
    Thanks for you time

2. Your first response will be your last....Just get the VRI and call it a day!!

/thread. :) 

3. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    Yes..but just worried about getting it from CL with no guarantee.I have never purchased used items before.That is why I was asking about new 80-200.

Any thoughts?

4. Have you tried other sources besides CL? KEH would be a good place to check. B&H and Adorama both have big used gear departments and likely have the vi in stock. Then there's eBay. The stores have money back options.

My advice would be to forego the AF-D altogether. Not because it's not a good lens, but because for nearly the same amount (and a little patience) you can get a nice used AF-S version.

I can't personally speak for the VRI, but I sold my AF-S to get the VRII. It's my most used lens by a pretty healthy margin. Since you're selling the 18-200, I'd probably opt for the VRI just because VR is a wonderful thing!

5. aesop

aesop

Oct 2, 2008
    CANADA
    I picked up a VR1 from CL. Just make sure to test it out entirely, different apertures, distance. Focus on random stuff. Turn on/off :) 

If you can get the receipt for warranty purposes even better.

The AF on the 70-200 is amazing. No regrets at all.

6. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    Thanks Vinman.

Yes ,I checked all the places you mentioned.KEH and B&H don't have it and Adorama has got a couple ,but is $1700+.I will check e-bay.

7. I had a 80-200 push pull . I ran in to a good deal on a 80-200 AF-S I do love it its IQ is great and a lot less then a 70-200 VRI

8. Both of these lenses are great performers. The 80-200 focus speed is fairly snappy with the focus limited switch on as well.

Both canon and nikon dominate the dslr world for a reason, their products across the board are reliable, well built and perform great. If the 70-200 is the one you really want then find a good seller and enjoy. If 5 year warranty is that important then buy the 80-200. You can't go wrong with either lens. I make money with my 80-200 on a regular basis.

9. Yikes - I'm shocked the VRI is selling for more than about $1300 ($1500 mint)!

10. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    Good to hear you love your 80-200

11. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    Yes 1700 for a used 70-200 VR1 is about 600$ more than a new 80-200 ,which is keeping me away from it.
    If I get it for something like a $1400 from some one like B&H where I have the option to return in case of any issues ,then I will grab it for sure.

12. Ray_Dockrey

Ray_Dockrey

Jun 8, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have the 80-200 twin ring version non AF-S and I love it. I do miss the VR at times but I have learned to work around it.

I picked up mine used on Craigslist for $750. The guy was changing hobbies and just wanted to get rid of it. Awesome lens.

13. Anyone willing to spend $1600 on a used vr1 should just save a bit and get a vr2.

The used market gives you many options at every price point. For about $600 you could buy a used 80-200 push pull. Optically unless you're on full frame and shooting wide open and pixel peeping in the corners not alot separates any of these lenses. There isn't $1600 worth of difference between a 70-200 vr2 and a 80-200 push pull. Ultimately you pay for 5 year warranty and better autofocus. Only you can decide if the extra cash warrants it.

14. It's a bad time to lust for anything Nikon right now, since everybody's jacking up their prices if not out of stock. KEH usually has BGN VR1's for $1300-1400, now they're all gone. I'd wait a few months and keep your eyes open, they're out there. Try looking at Fredmiranda's buy n sell forum also.

15. What will you be shooting. Neve shot a 80-200 AF-S but....in the end, that's why I upgraded to the 70-200 for it's AF-S. For what I was shooting, the AF-D 80-200 just want's fast enough and I was not getting in focus shots.

So, what are you mainly lusting for it for?

~Michael~

16. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    I see your point.Thanks for the suggestion.

17. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    For now ,it is not particularly for anything.I take out my 18-200 whenever I go out on streets.I wanted to replace that with a fast zoom.I like the reach to 200mm.Other than that ,I like to take portraits ,for which 85 1.4 is really good.But I still lust for the fast zoom in the range of 70-200.I would like to do wedding in the future ,but way to go before I do something serious.
    As I said 70-200 VRii is expensive for what I like to do now.80-200 seemed to just fit in my budget .

18. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I had a 80-200 AF-D and loved it. Super IQ and fast enough... but no VR and I am always on the move chasing kids. I bought a good used 70-200 VRI and never looked back. Check FM for good used copies. They have a feedback system and some pretty good deals if you watch.

19. bipinsnair

bipinsnair

May 15, 2010
    Virginia,USA
    I have seen some user VR1 in FM.Is it safe to buy from FM?Sorry ,I am new to FM and it looked more like CL ,but not sure..

20. I've thought about the 70-200 a few times, but the image quality of my 80-200 is so outstanding that I really don't have any justification to switch. One thought - you can pick up a used 80-200 for a reasonable price now, get a 70-200 later when they become easier to find, and then sell the 80-200 and get your money back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.