70-200 and its VR Function

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dking99, Sep 9, 2008.

1. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    I just read that when shooting subjects in motion, such as a soccer game, that the VR should be turned off. How true is this?

It would be safe to say that it would help battery life, but image quality?

I thought VR was only turned off when on a tripod...

2. VR stands for Vibration Reduction and is helpful in low light situations where camera shake would normally blur photos, it does nothing to aid in the capturing of fast moving subjects, that is a misconception about VR. The use of VR will increase overall battery consumption. There is no need that I can think of to use VR when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

AM

3. VR can stay on all the time when off a tripod
    HOWEVER..... most sport shooters know that the lens is a bit SLOWER TO FOCUS with the VR>>> "ON" because of the lens' need to "SETTLE" before being ready to take a picture
    in great light
    no need for VR
    but... i'm not sure it would hurt any shot

4. Hermit

Hermit

Feb 11, 2008
    Minnesota, USA
    I believe that the vr function can detect panning motion so having it on when following sports action handheld should be ok. As mentioned previously though there is a slight delay for the vr to do its 'settling' and I think this is activated by holding the shutter button in its half depressed position. This may cause focusing problems so I try and use the AF button on the back of the D200 for focus and the shutter button for vr activation. If I run out of hands and fingers to push all these buttons then I push the ISO up, pick a fast shutter speed and turn off the vr. But atleast you have the option of experimenting with what works best for you.

5. VR should be turned off, and you should be shooting sports at over 1/500th of a second. VR isn't needed at that SS.

6. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Don't listen to us, try it both ways and see what works for you.

I leave it on whenever shooting handheld regardless of the shutter speed. I find it makes it easier to pan with it on since it holds the image in the viewfinder steadier as well.

It's probably not "needed" beyond 1/500th at 200mm, but handheld it's not going to hurt.

When the lens is on a tripod though, VR gets confused and tends to make the images worse since it never settles correctly. Turn it off when on a steady tripod.

7. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    I am going to try and leave it on next time I shoot a sporting event....

I should have been more specific, but I was referring to shooting in sunlight. So f5.6 @ 1/1000 is not going to pick up any motion blur. I guess what I read, suggesting to turn the VR off, probably was tapping into the slower/delayed AF that the VR may cause.

I will give it a try...thanks!

8. Yes. VR has to "settle". When you half-press your shutter release, VR activates -- on the 70-200VR you'd hear a whir if you're in a quiet environment. The focus is acquired fairly instantly as the lens is fast. But if you fully press the shutter while VR is still "adjusting," you can actually get a blurred shot. At least that's what some owners think. E.g. I think I've seen the behavior with VR on vs. off, though there are lots of other variables at play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.