70-200 Conundrum - Looking for Advice

I'm late to the party, but I spotted this thread and figured I'd throw out that I just ordered the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 lens for $1060 on sale shipped from Canada. That's a hard bargain to beat, with its performance being so similar to the VRII and not far off from the E model Nikon.

Real Name
Ian
That's definitely a good deal @camaro_five0 . I purchased an f/2.8 VR II used for ~$1400, and it literally looks brand new. I went with a used Nikon VR II because it wasn't that much more expensive than a new Tamron G2, and if I want to sell it I'll basically get back what I paid for it, which would not be the case if I purchased a new Tamron.

Enjoy the Tamron, it looks like a great lens!

The 70-200mm VR ii is a grand lens and is probably the lens I use the most.

It is the lens that I use as an all-day walk-around lens when travelling — with a TC 2.0 in my pocket which turns it into a very useful lens for shooting small objects in close-up.

I also usually have "Mr. Fish" in my pocket as well in those circumstances.
That combination means that I don't need to lug a camera bag around all the time.

My primary "issue" with the 16-80 is that it lacks the weather sealing of the 17-55.

Also, I can share ND & CPl filters between the 17-55 & 70-200, since they're both 77mm. It may seem like something small, but it's just one less item I have to pack in my bag when going out to shoot.

From what i've read, the 17-55 is still a fantastic lens on the D500 from an AF speed perspective, which is my primary concern. I'm buying this camera for it's speed, and want to make sure the lenses I use deliver. The 16-80 won't have an issue with AF speed, but the lack of weather sealing, coupled with the variable aperture, isn't as appealing IMO.
You absolutely won't regret the 70-200vrII or the 17-55, on a d500 they will give you pretty much all you'll need. Also the tc1.4eII/tc1.4eIII give yet another stellar option on the 70-200!
Just for the record the Tamron/sigma 70-200 f2.8 options really don't have the industrial build quality of the Nikons!

Very late reply .... but I think you are making good choices. As long as the discussion has focused on sports-loving 70-200mm zooms, however, I'd like to throw in the older 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S. It is as big and heavy as the VRII, but also as sharp. The original MTF charts on this lens looked almost like the then-current 300mm f2.8 AF-S. The charts were removed when the lens was archived by Nikon, probably because they were substantially superior to the VRI that was being introduced to replace it. For sports, VR is often not needed or even desireable, and this makes a great sports lens. Just to complete the record.

Latest threads

Top Bottom