1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200 f/2.8 for weddings?

Discussion in 'People' started by truflip, Aug 4, 2008.

1. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    I'm thinking of renting the 70-200vr for an upcoming wedding but im also afraid the weight of this bad boy will tire me out. I'll be using it on a D80 (without grip) along with a Tamron 17-50mm. If I can get a 2nd body, I'll mount a 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.4 also. If not then all 4 lenses will be sharing the same body so I'm afraid handling the 70-200 might not be as easy as it seems. :confused: 

I just like it's flexibility being a fast zoom w/ VR.

Do you guys think I'll be okay with the two primes and a rather short zoom? I shoot photojournalistic so I will try not to interrupt the ceremony as much as I possibly can :smile:

2. Hey Karl, you can shoot the 70-200 and the 17-50 on a second body if you can manage to get one. Hang the 17-50 off one shoulder and the 70-200 around your neck. If you are trying not to be intrusive you will be shooting the 70-200 more... thereefore it will be in your hands most of the time and not hanging from your neck. When you need to go wider let the 70-200 hang rotate the strap of the other body from under your arm forward towards your chest and shoot. Rotate it back then grab the 70-200 again.

Hope this helps.

3. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Karl, give this a try. I found the 70-200 so heavy I hang it like a bandolier. Over one shoulder so my neck doesn't carry the weight. The Nikon strap was too short for this, so I had to find for one several inches longer.
    If I hot glue some bullets to the strap I will look like I just rode in with Pancho Villa.
    David

4. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    1 more thing to consider: if you have just 1 body, how are you planning to carry around all the lens? Is your bag big enough? Will you be carrying a waist belt? Changing lens too often or even worrying about it may mean missing a shot.

Also if you are going to be shooting in low light, the 85/1.4 might be a better choice.

5. Karl,

I use the 70-200 at weddings and for me the weight is not an issue.... but I'm a rather large guy ;)  ....Really, unless it is an outside wedding you might find that the range is rather limiting other than during the actual ceremony.

Mike

6. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    Roy,
    thanks for the suggestion! I guess I could use the 70-200 that way also but I was planning to use the 2nd body with the prime lenses actually.

David, good idea! I will do just that :)  I guess I'll have to look for some straps.. im a small guy soo i might get away with the nikon straps :) 

Felix, my bag should be big enough. a bigger bag is actually on my list now that the 70-200 is in consideration. however, if i stuck with the two primes and my 17-50, it'll have plenty of room :)  and no i wont be carrying a waist belt, instead, im really hoping to get a 2nd body and go bandolier on them :) 
    Mike, thanks for chiming in :D  the wedding ceremony will be indoors I think. The same room will be converted to a reception room after that. did u mean limiting as in range starting at 70 is too wide?

here are some pics of the venue..
    im not sure who took these but i just borrowed them from the venue's web site.

this one looks like it was taken all the way from the back of the room:
    Untitled-1-1.

heres how it should look during the ceremony at 3pm:
    Untitled-4.

Untitled-3.

i fear the bright light coming from one side might not allow for decent wide angle shots but we'll see..

Untitled-6.

this will be the reception/dancefloor after the ceremony

Untitled-7.

Untitled-5.

should allow for some creative shots when the sun goes down :) 

Untitled-2-1.

also the cocktail room... lots of windows but not just from one side so i think its a lot better :D 

Untitled-2a.

Untitled-1a.

i think the 70-200 might be limited in these smaller rooms but i think (from my scouting and visit anyway) that it should serve me quite well in the bigger rooms.

i really like the 50mm's range so i'll be using the 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 in the smaller rooms.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.