1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200 f/2.8 HSM DG with convertor question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cgaengineer, Dec 30, 2005.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

Has anyone tried a tele convertor on this lens? If so witch one do you suggest. I see a 1.4x and a 2x listed, both are simailar in price. I dont want a ton of quality loss, so I am thinking the 1.4x maybe the way to go. Am I correct in my calculations?

1.4x would equal 280mm on long end and 2x would be 400mm. I think if my calcs are correct, the 1.4x is not even worth the price for the distance gained. I shoot mostly in daylight, and alot of air shows. I would assume as long as there is plenty of light the 2x would AF perfect.

2. I have a 2x and I am not super happy with the results...I use on a 300/2.8 and my tripod/ballhead setup is pretty crummy but I tend to shy away from using the 2x...

Saying that though, I have gotten some really great images out of the combo, it is somewhat inconsistent though and may be partly due to smy etup...

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I own both the 1.4 and the 2.0 Sigma converters and I am very happy with both.
    During the hockey off season the 1.4 lives on my 70-200 and is only removed when I really need more zoom.
    If I could only afford one it would be the 1.4.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

1.4 and 2.0 Tele

Thank you for both of your responses, I think I will go to Wolf today and see if they have one or both, I will pick up the 2.0x and give it a try. Wolf has a 30 day return policy so I dont think I can go wrong.

Got the 2x converter today! I have yet to try it out but hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow. I will post some samples tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.