70-200 f/2.8 HSM DG with convertor question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cgaengineer, Dec 30, 2005.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

Has anyone tried a tele convertor on this lens? If so witch one do you suggest. I see a 1.4x and a 2x listed, both are simailar in price. I dont want a ton of quality loss, so I am thinking the 1.4x maybe the way to go. Am I correct in my calculations?

1.4x would equal 280mm on long end and 2x would be 400mm. I think if my calcs are correct, the 1.4x is not even worth the price for the distance gained. I shoot mostly in daylight, and alot of air shows. I would assume as long as there is plenty of light the 2x would AF perfect.

2. I have a 2x and I am not super happy with the results...I use on a 300/2.8 and my tripod/ballhead setup is pretty crummy but I tend to shy away from using the 2x...

Saying that though, I have gotten some really great images out of the combo, it is somewhat inconsistent though and may be partly due to smy etup...

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I own both the 1.4 and the 2.0 Sigma converters and I am very happy with both.
    During the hockey off season the 1.4 lives on my 70-200 and is only removed when I really need more zoom.
    If I could only afford one it would be the 1.4.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

1.4 and 2.0 Tele

Thank you for both of your responses, I think I will go to Wolf today and see if they have one or both, I will pick up the 2.0x and give it a try. Wolf has a 30 day return policy so I dont think I can go wrong.

Got the 2x converter today! I have yet to try it out but hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow. I will post some samples tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005