70-200 vr af-s died???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by iLLMaCK, Aug 2, 2008.

1. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I was shooting an engagement today, tried to mount the 70-200 vr onto the D50 and it focused at first, then it wouldn't auto focus. I didn't change any buttons, it was m/a as normal. Camera set to continuos, etc.

Any way to test the af-s motor or should I just plan to send it back into Nikon?

If it is the af-s motor, any idea on how much they charge to fix it? I need it back before football/soccer season and a wedding in October.

2. send it to nikon, should have 5-year warranty (no??)... otherwise, ask for a quote.. could be $400 for the AFS motor..

3. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I didn't buy it new, and as far as I know, it's not under warranty.
    And BLAH for $400

Which Nikon should I send it to? The NY one?

4. the closest one.. if they have the parts and you give them a credit card number and authorize them to charge it in writing they will probably have it back in less than 10 days..

5. also.. this is why i never buy used lenses with electronics inside... the warranty is worth every penny. of course, i buy AI and AIS lenses all the time used since there is nothing that a local lens repair shop can't fix (almost.. given parts availability)

6. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Yeah, normally I do but I needed it and couldn't find a new one.

7. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    Make sure it is the motor problem. Clean the electrical contacts on the lens and on the body.Try it with another body first of all!

8. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I will, I'm going to go to the local store today and see what they say.
    Gonna put it back on the D200 and clean the contacts, but I don't think it's that. But it might be since it works part of the time, etc.

Best way to clean the contacts? Just a small microfiber ?

9. sounds like a good idea to put it on another body at the local camera store and see.

10. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    Microfiber probably will not be enough if they are oxidated to the point of not working. If it is the case try soft eraiser, but you need to be very careful not to damage them mechanically. You need to direct your motions in the right way and press very lightly.

11. I recommend sending it in - however, unlike the comment quoted - don't hold your breath for 10 days. I would be dead 3 times!! They received mine on July 1, it's August 2 and I have still not received my lens back. My lens was there for 8 days before it even made it to the shop. I sent the lens in thinking I had plenty of time before my next event (wedding), that is TODAY and still no 70-200. Mine was a warranty repair if that makes a difference.

Check with the original owner, it may still be under warranty. He or she probably won't mind sending it in for you as long as they have the original receipt to guarantee purchase date.

Good luck.

12. nikon service melville, ny has been pretty fast for me.. but that is if they have the parts and there is not too much backed up..

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    it took two months (IIRC) to have my 70-200mm repaired (AF and VR died). the wait was for parts; hopefully the situation has improved.

ricky

14. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Cleaned the D200, cleaned the lens. They weren't oxidized bad, were rather clean.
    I cleaned all the contacts, switched it from m/a to m and back to m/a

Now it works, hopefully it will last for awhile.

15. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

price you had to pay?

16. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    luckily it was still under the 5 year warranty. i'll dig up the repair form and see if it says the category of repair.

my problem was intermittent, and dismounting then mounting the lens would make it work again. it got worse and worse though, until it finally stopped working completely.

ricky