70-200 vr......'big surprise huh' $$ question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mrsollars, Apr 16, 2007.

1. if i, scraping ALL of my pennies together, could get the 70-200 vr.....is that the lens you would recommend?

here's what i would be sacrificing for a WHILE.....probably a long while....
    macro.
    good tripod/head.

it would give me the following.
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    nikkor 50 1.8
    nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr
    nikon sb800

if this is my last lens purchase, due to the upcoming marriage, do i (quite literally) go for broke with the 70-200vr??

thanks everybody.

matt

2. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Just picked one up, shot with it all weekend. What can i say, it the best lens I have had on any of my cameras.

3. For sure you'll be sacrificing some of those mentioned and erm...getting a big hole in your wallet at the same time.

But look at is this way, you got 1 lust down :biggrin: and got the "must have" lens in your hands. So if you do get it soon, you'r going to enjoy your shooting with it for sure :tongue:

4. Get it! It's the must have lens in the nikkor lineup.

If you want to go macro, just get a Canon 500D and use your 70-200VR for that! :Crunk:

...almost all pictures here where made with this combo.

5. With this setup:

tamron 17-50 2.8
    nikkor 50 1.8
    nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr
    nikon sb800

you'd be set for some time. Another option instead of the 70-200VR would be the nikon 80-200mm af-s, which could save you around $500 if you can forgo the VR. I've had both for awhile and the image quality is very similar (if not the same) leaving VR out of the comparison.

6. sylwesterski

sylwesterski

Jul 25, 2006
    Seattle,WA
    YES, 70-200VR is for you, you will love it.

7. it's going to be very hard to justify the 80-200 after posts like these guys!!!
    now i've seen several times here, someone will post a 'FS:' thread and everybody chimes in saying, ''i think___________ was looking for one....make sure to pm him first''.

if one of these should pop up for a good price.....keep me in mind.

also.....keep posting here convincing me that this is the way to go.....LOTS of money for me...LOTS of money. i need all of the convincing i can get!

any more links to some 70-200 vr w/ the 500D pics would be great too. thanks.

thanks again, you're all the best.

matt

8. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
  9. Dave, look at your link; the page it refers to says the lens is no longer available :frown:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Get it and don't look back and KEEP it. One belongs in every photogs bad along with a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4
    Those are lifers:>)))))
    Curious, if you can't afford a lens how can you afford a marriage...yikssss

11. thanks for the information gang....keep it coming.

gale- thanks for the life advice...not exactly what i was asking for.

it's just a matter of finding one, with warrant, for a decent price.

i have a question about warranty and service and calibration, etc. if i have the warranty, do i just send it in, say something is wrong with it, and they'll calibrate it??? is there a cost (aside from shipping).

thanks?

12. 70-200VR w/500D, and this spider and his web was blowing quite a bit in the breeze.
    original.

You'll never regret buying the 70-200VR, the last lens I would ever sell. I love mine, and it focuses in a heartbeat!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would call nikon and explain what is going on and go from there. If you send your warrenty in within 7 days you have 5 years.
    They will take care of it.
    I always call first.

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    All you need for Nikon warranty work is the receipt. If it's a USA lens (which it should be) Nikon will honor the 5 year warranty. I've had my 70-200 VR back twice now, and thankfully, still have almost 2 years left on the warranty.

15. Baywing-
    what was your lens in for??
    are there common issues with the 70-200vr??
    is it a good idea to send it in a couple of times over the 5yr period just to be calibrated/serviced/checked out??

thanks
    matt

16. If that was me, and I was getting married, I'd also scrap the Tamron and get both the 17-55 and 70-200VR. I think this may be the best pair of lenses ever made. I'd also throw in the towel and pick up a 60 micro or 105VR micro.

GenoP

17. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The initial versions had some issues with the VR and AF suddenly stopping, mostly when used with a TC. I thought I had waited long enough to get one from a later batch, but I guess I got one of the early ones. I had that issue, mostly when using an extension tube, so I sent it in. The fix for that was Nikon added a ground wire. The first trip in, I didn't see any reference to that on the paperwork, so I wasn't confident it was fixed. It wasn't. Gradually it got worse, to the point that it quit completely. This time, it looks like they did what they should have to begin with.
    I would also point out that most units are fine, problems are really quite rare. Yes, there are always a few units that have problems, but the odds are slim that you'll run across one of those. That's why I won't buy used for the more sophisticated stuff, Nikon's warranty is only good to the original owner.

18. Two words... Get it!!!! :biggrin:

19. thanks guys.

geno- i'm really extremely happy with the tamron. the 17-55 is great and all...but not gonna be able to swing it with the 70-200...even if i sell the tamron.

baywing- thanks for the heads up on the issues. if one were to order now, would this have been fixed, or could there be THAT much original stock sitting around still??

yeah...my macro itch still won't be taken care of....maybe i can talk somebody into GIVING me a 105vr or a sigma 150 macro or something, because i'm such a nice guy. :biggrin:

20. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    haha yeah right, im your soon to be brother in law and im not even that nice...
    but if you do find someone giving away glass like that, let me know

you know what i think.. 70-200VR all the way. that way I can borrow it :biggrin:

blake