1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200 VR goes for a spin...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by gnagel, Aug 9, 2009.

1. I happened to notice this pinwheel this morning in front of my neighbor's place. In order to get a slow enough shutter speed in the bright sun to display the motion, I stopped the lens down, placed a neutral density filter on the lens and stabilized the D700 on a tripod.

1 (1/40th @ f8, ISO 200)
    p1005620725-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 (1/50th @ f8, ISO 200)
    p781838133-5.jpg

3 (1/50th @ f8, ISO 200)
    p874100558-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    The first shot is just great. It must have been some challenge to get such long exposures in broad daylight however.

3. Thanks Robert...

It gave me a chance to use my neutral density filter...which I believe allows me to shoot at three stops slower. Also, the base ISO of 200 helped. The pinwheel was moving fast, so it blurred quite a bit even at 1/40th shutter speed.

Glenn

4. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I actually like the second shot best. It takes a good eye to see or envision these types of "detail" pictures. And I usually miss them, myself.

Nice job!

5. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    Gee, Glenn. Those pictures really prove that the 70-200 is a crap lens on FX. WAIT!! Just Kidding!!

I really like 1 and 3. Your eye for the ordinary is outstanding, and the execution was brilliant.

Regards,
    John

6. Thanks David...

Sometimes I really want to shoot something and I start looking for anything to shoot. That was certainly the case this morning as I captured these without moving more than 100 feet from my doorstep!

Glenn

7. question: how is the third picture blurred and the second is not with the same settings? Obvious answer would be that it was spinning a lot faster in the third photo?

8. That's correct...the wind stopped blowing during the exposure of that second photo. I really should have upped the shutter speed for the stationary image.

Glenn

9. Fantastic composition and color

I love your composition and the colors are fantastic. It is amazing what we can find close to home when we are really looking.

10. Thanks Bwc801...and congrats on your first Nikon Cafe post!

11. Juliflex

Juliflex

Jan 27, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    that first shot is fantastic! good job.

12. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.