70-200 VR Gripes?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jgrove, May 11, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I am a big fan of the 70-200 VR AFS F2.8 lens from Nikon, but one thing that always drives me mad is the focus ring. Please someone tell me if its me but this has got to happen to all of us users of this great lens.

You have 2 functions M/A and M so you set to M/A holding the lens is difficult so as your using it you hand moves on the focus ring and moves the focus of the lens! Errr on my 300mm F2.8 the ring disengages so this doesnt happen.

Anyone else?

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi james-

can't say this has happened to me. i usually hold the lens as far out as possible, which means the base of the hood or the area between the hood and the focus ring. when i hold it by the focus ring, i've never noticed myself moving the ring and changing focus.

what bugs me is the lens hood locking system. the button is in the perfect position to be depressed when i sling the camera around my shoulder or when i walk around carrying it. i've dropped it a couple of times because of this. luckily i was with friends who noticed it had fallen.

give me back the lens hood on my old 80-200mm f/2.8!

ricky

3. James, just started using it but have logged quite a few hours on it so far (a four 8 hr days), haven't had this problem yet....
    Ricky - two words: Crazy Glue LOL

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    James - that is supposed to be a feature, not a bug.

You know, so you can easily override the autofocus. I find that I accidently hit the focus ring on my 24-120vr, but only rarely, when I'm holding the camera weird.

I'll bet that is the reason they switched the positions of the two rings on that lens! Thanks for solving that mystery. :)

5. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Umm i am off to have plastic surgery done to my hands! Better still i`ll try and hold the lesn better, but having used it for over a year i thought i would have got the technique right by now!

6. You know, I feel exactly opposite about the hood. My 80-200 used to come right off all the time, the only peeve I have about the locking hood, is that whenever I put the 70-200w/hood back into my bag, somehow the button gets pushed and I hear it "unclick". At least it's in the bag and not on the floor.