70-200 Vr Having Trouble Keeping It Steady!!!

I guess you using the D300/70-200 combo is equivalent to me using my D3/300 f2.8 VR. They are heavy combos and I need a monopod with mine.

BTW, I just shot a wedding last weekend (as second shooter) and I used the D3/70-200 for many pleasing shots. Handholding that combo for hours was tiring by night.

Great shot!! Now I need some great shots like that!!:smile:Thanks for posting!!!Debbie

Good URL for Other Hobby

I wasn't trying to say you couldn't hold the camera :smile:. Hand holding for a length of time is always difficult (unless you do it A LOT). The elbow on the hip thing takes some practice since you might need to lean forward or backwards a little to get a good platform depending on hip height/elbow length. It'll feel pretty awkward at first, but it becomes natural with practice.

Here's a relatively decent article about it in the shooting sense, and it has a female model to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. You'll be surprised how steady you can hold it after learning this technique. Next step is breathing techniques :tongue:.
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/good-article-on-standing-position-from-cmp/

Thank you for this URL. I'm trying to improve my target shooting from the standing and kneeling positions. This helps a lot.

are you right eye or left eye? I'm left eye and have been sweating today handhelding the 70-200 running behind some deers... :smile:

if you are lefty, you can let the D200/D300 rest on your left shoulder (but you have to have the grip in) and put your left arm under the lens and your elbow touching your body....

take a look at this video from Joe McNally: da grip

Thanks I have seen that video before another member had pointed that out to me on a different thread, and I have been practicing just the way Joe is shooting. Good info.!! Debbie:smile:

i know its simple, but you did make sure VR is turned on and in normal mode right?
also, are you waiting for the vr to steady the lens before you shoot?

A good set of batteries for the flash that can handle bursts... do 3-5 shot bursts for the important shots... one picture out of each set should be sharp enough! Esp. with the D200! :smile: I sometimes do bursts anyways to try and get one good pic.

S

say cheeze

If you think the D300/70-200VR combo is heavy, try carrying a D1H/70-200VR combo.

Here's what you do:
Take your D300/70-200 combo and do 5 set of 10 reps and you bench press them. Make sure there is someone to spot you, because you don't want it to drop on you or drop it. Take 1min between each set to recover.

If you think the D300/70-200VR combo is heavy, try carrying a D1H/70-200VR combo.

Here's what you do:
Take your D300/70-200 combo and do 5 set of 10 reps and you bench press them. Make sure there is someone to spot you, because you don't want it to drop on you or drop it. Take 1min between each set to recover.

after something like that I won't be able to move my arms anymore :tongue:... no kidding, since I'm using the D300/MB-10 and the 24-70 as walkaround kit :eek: I'm having right hand pain problems!!! I must exercise!!! :biggrin:

the 70-200 is another story, as it forces me to use my left hand more... so at the end the pain is evenly distributed between arms!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I may get laughed out of here but maybe one of these would help you ? I have read some people like them to ease the weight....

http://www.kohscamera.com/images/cullman/2702_girl.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/68qwga

Good luck,
Darren C

Darren I don't think it is funny. I have thought about getting one of those for support. I saw at a wedding photographer about 3 years ago using one. The you have listed at BH hold 5.5lb, just weighed the whole combo 7lbs 2ounces. :frown:Thanks!! Debbie:smile:

A good set of batteries for the flash that can handle bursts... do 3-5 shot bursts for the important shots... one picture out of each set should be sharp enough! Esp. with the D200! :smile: I sometimes do bursts anyways to try and get one good pic.

Thanks Shaun!! Yes I have the 2900 rechargeable batteries and a lot of them just in case.

Here's what you do:

:biggrin: Well I have been doing that for the last few days and it is really building up my arm muscles. OK:wink: you know I'm kidding but this might sound funny but I have been doing extra arm excercises.:smile: Debbie

D

drjiveturkey

Darren I don't think it is funny. I have thought about getting one of those for support. I saw at a wedding photographer about 3 years ago using one. The you have listed at BH hold 5.5lb, just weighed the whole combo 7lbs 2ounces. :frown:Thanks!! Debbie:smile:

It doesn't matter, it will at least give you some support. My only concern with that contraption (or a regular Monopod) is that it becomes combersome when trying to shoot in Portrait mode.

I think you just need to work on your stance like other have mentioned. I'm not that much bigger than you and have used a similar set up with a D3. If your stance is similar to your Avatar than yeah, your arms will be tired by the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter, it will at least give you some support. My only concern with that contraption (or a regular Monopod) is that it becomes combersome when trying to shoot in Portrait mode.

I think you just need to work on your stance like other have mentioned. I'm not that much bigger than you and have used a similar set up with a D3. If you're stance is similar to your Avatar than yeah, your arms will be tired by the end of the day.

The monopod is very combersome in portrait mode, believe me I been practicing!! I never hold my camera like I did in my Avatar. That was a quick shot in the mirror before I went out for dinner one night. Debbie:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom