1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200 VR... how did i ever do without it?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Jul 5, 2008.

1. well,

as some might know, i finally purchased the Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR after a two year search for a good used copy for less than £1000. It is the first telephoto lens i have owned (previously the longest i had was 85mm) and, well, i can't believe i waited this long. it has opened up a whole new avenue of opportunities to shoot. here are some of the first shots i have taken with it and the D3 at the British Museum's 4th July celebrations. converted to B + W, curves and some sharpening. more photos from this event can be found http://public.fotki.com/swmlon/4th-july-festivitie/

band (unknown name)

DSC_1912-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    125mm    f/3.5    1/200s    ISO 900

DSC_1964-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    80mm    f/2.8    1/200s    ISO 450

DSC_1965-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    80mm    f/2.8    1/200s    ISO 360

DSC_1890-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    102mm    f/4.0    1/200s    ISO 800

DSC_1899-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    98mm    f/2.8    1/200s    ISO 320

DSC_1907-vi.

DSC_1920-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    70mm    f/3.5    1/200s    ISO 500

a couple more this time with the 24-70.

DSC_1952-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    40mm    f/2.8    1/200s    ISO 360

DSC_1931-vi.
    NIKON D3    ---    62mm    f/3.5    1/200s    ISO 500

C & C welcome. and some tips on shooting with this lens would be helpful, always good to learn i say.

shing

2. Excellent captures

I love your black and white conversion - super images.

The only tip I can give you - is to refrain from using the VR when people are moving, I often increase the iso on the D3 - this allows me faster captures - more keepers since I can focus faster with it - of course in low light the VR is a must as well as when shooting buildings.

Congrats on your new lens

3. LeeF

LeeF

May 24, 2008
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nice selection. I know how you feel. I've been saving for an eternity for this lens and only got one about a week ago. I also got the 1.7TC to go with it. Gave it it's first good workout at a local parade yesterday and I'm very pleased with the results.

Good luck with yours.

325617752_QGDZe-L.

4. congrats on the new lens
    it's a great one

nice series of images
    you'll love this lens more every time you shoot with it

congrats.... and, good luck

5. It is, certainly, a fine lens. Can't understand why people were previously complaining about it ...

2639912413_b8e27e438f_o.
    NIKON D3    ---    170mm    f/2.8    1/2500s    ISO 200

6. Congratulations....it is a beautiful lens, one of my favorite.
    Those are awesome photos too.

7. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    WOW what a lens and beautiful pics there...I really liked your BW conversion...its giving that Leica/Ricoh BW feel to it

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Shing great capture's. And I think converting them to B+W wa spot on. Sweet little drum set.:biggrin:

Arthur: Thanks for posting that Amazing German Shepard capture. You got him/her at the perfect moment. That is by far the best action dog shot taken with the 70-200 VR I ever seen. What F/stop and camera did you use? Iv heard that the 70-200 gets a little dark on the corners on FF. I dont see any of that in your shot or Shings for that matter.

9. thanks for the replies, i am really beginning to love this lens. and the pictures that come out of it are just incredible, makes you forget that you are carry around such a ig lens (at least for me).

all the stories i heard from people about corner darkness and lack of sharpness made me hesitant to buy it. but now that i have, i cant see the problems that everyone was harking on about. yes the lens does exhibit those characteristics, but in real world shooting it is not noticable (to me anyway)

10. mi2ark

mi2ark Guest

did you buy it used?

any concerns that way? Did you know the seller?

11. i did buy it used. i didn't know the seller, i saw the add through eBay but i just think i got really lucky. can't say others buying on eBay will have as much luck. i was fortunate in that he lived in London as well, not far from me so i was able to have a good look at the lens, take 50-60 shots at f2.8 throughout the zoom range.
    i guess my only concern was making sure the lens worked perfect at all settings, and touch wood it seems to be. i am always apprehesive about buying a lens used, but i got to check the lens thoroughly and, well, all seems well.

12. I remember your post on DPR about the lens glad it worked out, Jules (the seller) is a decent guy.

Personally I would have no hesitation in buying a used lens, let someone else take the "hit" of buying new - I think most folks are honest anyway, and I tend to buy used when I can. You get much more for your money and most folks tend to look after expensive gear I find :) 

13. There are certain Nikon lens that I feel are "keepers" and will never leave my kit. The 70-200 f2.8 is one. Others are:
    28-70mm f2.8 (the Beast)
    300mm f2.8 Version II (may upgrade to the VR)
    17-35mm f2.8

14. Hey... don't you know that you should be getting horrible images with the *unusable* D3 + 70-200 + f2.8 combo?! :biggrin:

15. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.