70-200 VR II and TC 20E III trial

In my quest for a more hand holdable version of the 300mm f4/TC 14E combo, I purchased a TC 20E III to try with the 70-200 VR II.

I'm not smart enough or dedicated enough to do the mind numbing test chart thing - I use squirrels :smile:

These were all shot wide open (f5.6), using VR. Shutter speed was 1/250s, images are hard crops of the original files.

360mm:
p400041679-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

400mm:
p277415219-5.jpg

400mm:
p18055627-5.jpg

These were made at fairly close distance, haven't yet tried the combo at long distance. I would expect long range performance will not be as promising and will require stopping down 2/3-1 stop for decent image quality.

Whether this combo will supplant the 300 f4/TC 14 combo is debatable but it sure is easier to hand hold :biggrin:

Wow those look pretty good! I've seen some other test shots from the 70-200VRII and the TC-20E III that were less than impressive. Looks like you might have a "good" combination of the 70-200 and '20/III'. :smile:

Thanks for sharing your test shots Gaylon. I am planning on getting this TC-20e III for my 70-200mm f2.8 VRII also. Your crop images looks pretty sharp. I'm sure it will look even sharper stopped down. If this set-up is good enough, I might skip the 300mm f4 and just go with this TC.

Those are pretty good, Gaylon. I wish I can find a TC-20E III to try on my VR2 but they seem very hard to find. The 1.4x has good reviews but not enough reach, and the 1.7x has mixed reviews.

Those look really good. If I recall, wasn't that combination not so good with the v1 70-200mm f/2.8 VR?

This looks promising.

I've read the v1 70-200 wasn't particularly great with any tcs. I've been thinking seriously about picking up the v3 tc2.0 for my 70-200vrii, too. I miss having more reach since selling my 500 and switching to FX. These shots don't exactly convince me that I shouldn't!

Impressive! It looks like you are getting good results from that combo. How much of a crop are these? If possible, please post an uncropped version so we can see what you are working with.

Wow those look pretty good! I've seen some other test shots from the 70-200VRII and the TC-20E III that were less than impressive. Looks like you might have a "good" combination of the 70-200 and '20/III'. :smile:

Thanks. I don't know if I'm just lucky with regard to sample variation of if I simply lack the critical eye to discern the same :)

Thanks for sharing your test shots Gaylon. I am planning on getting this TC-20e III for my 70-200mm f2.8 VRII also. Your crop images looks pretty sharp. I'm sure it will look even sharper stopped down. If this set-up is good enough, I might skip the 300mm f4 and just go with this TC.

Most welcome. Playing with the combo again today at f8 does indeed show a noticeable improvement. I'll have more samples later this week.

Those are pretty good, Gaylon. I wish I can find a TC-20E III to try on my VR2 but they seem very hard to find. The 1.4x has good reviews but not enough reach, and the 1.7x has mixed reviews.

Indeed they are hard to find. I finally gave up and paid a 20% premium to get a U.S. version from an eBay seller. Good thing I like it :biggrin:

Wow, these are very sharp captures! Thanks for sharing them.

Thank you and you're most welcome.

Those look really good. If I recall, wasn't that combination not so good with the v1 70-200mm f/2.8 VR?

This looks promising.

I didn't have the TC to try while I had my original 70-200 VR thus cannot comment.

I liked the TC 14E with that lens but didn't do so well with the 1.7 or the 2.0 II converter. I now use only the 14E II and this 20E III lenses.

I've read the v1 70-200 wasn't particularly great with any tcs. I've been thinking seriously about picking up the v3 tc2.0 for my 70-200vrii, too. I miss having more reach since selling my 500 and switching to FX. These shots don't exactly convince me that I shouldn't!

I made these images with a D7000 body and the VR II/TC 20E III combo is even more impressive on the D700. I'll try to post some from the FX body later this week. I'm supposed to be selling that body but, hey, a steady diet of mac 'n cheese ain't as bad as I had expected :biggrin:

They look very good, Gaylon. Now try @ 50 yds or more with a fast moving target...:wink:

Thanks, Will. I'm a lousy BIF shooter and have little opportunity so I used dogs doing the field thing. Across the viewfinder captures were fine but incoming/erratic action strings were poor. Even in good light the AF is compromised enough that I couldn't get good consistent strings of sharp captures.

This combo is best suited for static or slow moving wildlife. Serious BIF work still requires the big expensive stuff and a shooter who knows how to use it :smile:

Dad gum, those look nice. I would not have expected that based on other comments and threads.

Thanks. I, too, was pleasantly surprised. Good thing since I paid $600 for the darned thing :eek: :biggrin:

Impressive! It looks like you are getting good results from that combo. How much of a crop are these? If possible, please post an uncropped version so we can see what you are working with.

Here you go:
p469067785.jpg

p230971564.jpg

p434720980.jpg

Impressive results from your 70-200 f2.8 VRII combo! They match the results I have been achieving with this combo. Here are a couple of mine:

On the D700

original.jpg

Wide open:

original.jpg

original.jpg

On my D7000:

ISO6400

original.jpg

original.jpg

ISO3200

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Those images look great.

Has anyone done any side by side to see if there is any loss of acuity with the TC?

How is the AF performing for you guys? Slower than usual but just as accurate? No change? Hunting?

Those images look great.

Has anyone done any side by side to see if there is any loss of acuity with the TC?

How is the AF performing for you guys? Slower than usual but just as accurate? No change? Hunting?

I assume you are refering to mine and if so, thank you for your nice comment, Robert.

AF is a tad slower in good light and then a tad slower again in poor light with occassional hunting, but this is only a tad worse than without the TC. Accuracy is spot on with both cameras and all focal lengths. I couldn't be happier than with this combo and the 2x TCIII works perfectly on my 300 f2.8 VRII as well! The great thing with the TC is that I have from 16mm right through to 400mm in my bag at all times as the TC is small and light and easy to carry and therefore the TC is there all the time along with the 70-200 f2.8 VRII. This is not the case with the 300 as I need to think about taking it with me and this is not always possible or desireable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you are refering to mine and iof so, thank you for your nice comment, Robert.

AF is a tad slower in good light and then a tad slower again in poor light with occassional hunting, but this is only a tad worse than without the TC. Accuracy is spot on with both cameras and all focal lengths. I couldn't be happier than with this combo and the 2x TCIII works perfectly on my 300 f2.8 VRII as well! The great thing with the TC is that I have from 16mm right through to 400mm in my bag at all times as the TC is small and light and easy to carry and therefore the TC is there all the time along with the 70-200 f2.8 VRII. This is not the case with the 300 as I need to think about taking it with me and this is not always possible or desireable.

Hi Lance. Yes, I was referring to your images. I've been looking at the 1.4x TC and the 2.0x TC and I had been leaning towards the 1.4x but I'm now seriously considering the 2.0x.

This looks promising.

I've had very good results with my 70 200mm VR1, and 105mm VR using a TC20EIII. Once you try pro Nikon glass, you will never go back!

Here is a shot with my 70 200mm VR1, and TC20EIII, which I have posted before:

1003499546_DTMZr-X3.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom