70-200 VR II clunk sound

I need some advice from the experts, I'm not sure if I have a problem or if my imagination is talking me into one.

My 70-200 VRII seems to have a slight rattle in the back of the lens, if I tilt it from side to side it makes a clunk sort of sound. When I look through the lens I can see an element at the back moving as I move the lens around. Also when I first power the camera up with the lens attached I hear a rattling sound. :frown:

I spoke to one repairer on the phone who said that's quite normal and the movement is to do with the design of the VR, but I'm not convinced it didn't used to be silent.

The lens was in hand luggage on a flight I took that went through some reasonably bumpy turbulence - otherwise it has never been bumped of jarred since I owned it. It was a few days after that I noticed the noise for the first time.

It seems to still take clear images - but I am not sure it isn't focusing slower than it did ( Imagination or not - I'm just not sure.)

I am thinking I just need to find a good Nikon service agent in Melbourne and pay to get it checked, but would be interested in any input from those wiser than I. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some advice from the experts, I'm not sure if I have a problem or if my imagination is talking me into one.

My 70-200 VRII seems to have a slight rattle in the back of the lens, if I tilt it from side to side it makes a clunk sort of sound. When I look through the lens I can see an element at the back moving as I move the lens around. Also when I first power the camera up with the lens attached I here a rattling sound. :frown:

I spoke to one repairer on the phone who said that's quite normal and the movement is to do with the design of the VR, but I'm not convinced it didn't used to be silent.

The lens was in hand luggage on a flight I took that went through some reasonably bumpy turbulence - otherwise it has never been bumped of jarred since I owned it. It was a few days after that I noticed the noise for the first time.

It seems to still take clear images - but I am not sure it isn't focusing slower than it did ( Imagination or not - I'm just not sure.)

I am thinking I just need to find a good Nikon service agent in Melbourne and pay to get it checked, but would be interested in any input from those wiser than I. :confused:
Based on this I would send it in right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Based on this I would send it in right away.
Thanks Rick,

That's what I assumed - but the phone call to a reputable camera repairer here confused me, as after describing the same thing, he explained that rear VR element is controlled by electromagnets and will move. He claimed that movement and noise was normal.

That's why I thought I'd ask the brains trust here.:wink:

A well, sounds like I am off to find the best Nikon repairer I can in Melbourne. (It's out of warranty.)

Thanks Rick,

That's what I assumed - but the phone call to a reputable camera repairer here confused me, as after describing the same thing, he explained that rear VR element is controlled by electromagnets and will move. He claimed that movement and noise was normal.

That's why I thought I'd ask the brains trust here.:wink:

A well, sounds like I am off to find the best Nikon repairer I can in Melbourne. (It's out of warranty.)
Ouch!! I just checked mine and I don't see any elements moving and I don't hear anything when I power up an attached body with VR on or off. Maybe someone else can give you more insight but since it's out of warranty and it's still working I guess there's no rush.

Ouch!! I just checked mine and I don't see any elements moving and I don't hear anything when I power up an attached body with VR on or off. Maybe someone else can give you more insight but since it's out of warranty and it's still working I guess there's no rush.
Thanks again Rick :smile:

Well even the VR kit lens rattles when switched off. Power up the camera and take up first part of shutter release to activate VR and the rattle goes away. It would kind of indicate that VR works with a floating element of some sort.

Thanks guys - seems my "reputable camera repairer" is not the right guy to take it too...

Off to the repairers this week I think.

Thanks guys - seems my "reputable camera repairer" is not the right guy to take it too...

Off to the repairers this week I think.
I guess the real question is, are your images always sharp and in focus? No rattles or noises from mine, but a loose element would result in poor optics, which you haven't mentioned. Get it checked if only for peace of mind.

Well sadly the answer is I do have an expensive problem.. ::frown:

The answer from the technician:
Report: IMPACT DAMAGE: TO DISMANTLE THE LENS REPLACE THE V.R UNIT, BAYONT MOUNT, MOTOR, G.M.R UNIT AND ROLLERS. CLEAN AND LUBRICATE AS REQUIRED REASSEMBLE AND TEST THE OPERATION

Bottom line, just under A$1K ::frown:

The lens definitely hasn't had any serious impact while I've owned it - but it did get fairly shaken around in turbulance on a flight recently (In the nikon case in my laptop bag) Maybe that was the cause.

Anyway - for future reference.. if it rattles - its BAD..:mad:

Another week or so and I should have it back as good as new I hope.....Glad my tax return was healthy this year....:smile:

Sorry, gotta bring this up, seems that Nikon lately has been using the 'excuse' Impact Damage, oh boy:actions1:

Anyway, When I used the VRII and VRI 70-200 lenses, I was always told by other photographers to make sure the VR mechanism is complete done before turning off the camera. Meaning that if taking a picture using VR, when releasing the shutter button, wait for the VR to stop working, then shut off the camera body.

If you shut off the camera body in the middle of the VR working, then itll stop in motion and it will be moving around when the camera body is shut off, and that could damage it :( Maybe thats what happened there.

Sorry, gotta bring this up, seems that Nikon lately has been using the 'excuse' Impact Damage, oh boy:actions1:

Anyway, When I used the VRII and VRI 70-200 lenses, I was always told by other photographers to make sure the VR mechanism is complete done before turning off the camera. Meaning that if taking a picture using VR, when releasing the shutter button, wait for the VR to stop working, then shut off the camera body.

If you shut off the camera body in the middle of the VR working, then itll stop in motion and it will be moving around when the camera body is shut off, and that could damage it :( Maybe thats what happened there.
Thanks James - I was't aware of that.... I'll definitely keep it in mind.

In this case it is an independent repairer not Nikon claiming impact damage..and the only impact I am aware of would have been from flight turbulance on a recent flight..it was pretty bumpy :frown:

I have the same rattle, same lens.
Turn the VR off or wait till it stops then turn the camera off and it stops.
If I'm shooting motor racing with continous focus the VR gets a good workout. If I shoot in S mode I can at least stop the VR easier.
Rattle is not there if you use what jrberry is saying.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom