70-200 VR with TC Question

Maybe I'm the only one around these parts using the TC20 with the 70-200. I think it's a usably sharp combo at f/6.3 or so, and I haven't felt the need to look for a TC17. If an established member of the community who has the 70-200 with TC14 wants to borrow the TC20 for formal head-to-head testing, drop me a line.
Michael,

I don't doubt that one can get decently sharp results with the 70-200 plus TC-20E (see below), but my experience leads me to believe that combo would work better for static or slow moving subjects in pretty good light and would be a little more challenging for sports use than the 1.7 on the 70-200.

I was fooling around with my TC-20E right after I bought it and shot this with it on the 70-200 (handheld at 1/45, so I guess it's a testament to VR :smile: ):
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised at the good results that I can get with the TC-20E after from so many people that it wasn't much good, but it really seems to work best for me when the light's good so I can stop down a little and the subject is moving slowly or not at all so I've got a better chance of nailing the focus. Because my lens line up changed, I ended up selling my 1.7 and use the 1.4 or 2.0 depending on the situation. For the use Bill's contemplating, though, I do think the 1.7 would be a good compromise.

Dave, yes, sports would be my main use for the lens with a TC, but I take a lot of pictures of buildings, or pictures from buildings we are looking at renovating.

A lot of these buildings are old historic monuments which can be really intricate and have some amazing craft work. From street level, looking at the intricate work at roof level, having the 70-200 with either the TC17E or TC20E would work. I don't schedule shoots unless there is a lot of light, and I don't always have my tripod with me, but typically I do have the monopod.

While I don't have anything to do with the look of the buildings, I design the communications systems within them. However, you can only stand so many pictures of wires and fiber. I have gotten into taking more and more pictures of the actual buildings. Below are some before and after shots of an old burned out building we completed recently in Baltimore.

These were all taken with my Coolpix 995, before I got the D2X.

The building below burned down over 10 years ago, before that it was a steel foundry.

View of basement and remaining walls before construction

More of the basement and building before

The old basement is now a pool for the building which is now a condo complex. The old basement columns are now gas torches.

View from pool level.

Inside before renovation to condos. Note the side window are 14' wide and 22' high. They take up an entire wall in each two story condo.

Inside after renovation. They kept the burned out roof and 50 ton crain for more of a industrial look.

Neat stuff for subjects for me....

Pretty cool, stuff, Bill. Many late 19th and early 20th century warehouse & industrial buildings had really interesting architectural details. Building the pool complex in the old basement was pretty creative.

It was interesting the way the decided to build the condos inside the old burned out building and leave the steel frames and trusses as a shell over the building. Leaving the crane was a neat touch as well.

I have to get there at night when they have the torches lit. The view is really neat. Also, as you can see below the builder took many of the old gears and parts, and had them built into the fences and gates. Another nice touch.

Bill the 1.7 works pretty good for me this shot taken about 60 yards picture is cropped but still turned out ok for me.Going to get the 1.4 soon I am sure the shots will be sharper but a little shorter in the reach department.I have had no problems with my 1.7 on my D200 or D50. :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom