70-200 without a grip available?

Real Name
Rodney
Any of my fellow Z owners think it's going to be difficult to hold a Z body with that massive new lens? I'm not sure I understand Nikon's choice not to make a grip, I feel like it's almost a necessity with such a big lens for handholding.

Real Name
Chris
Any of my fellow Z owners think it's going to be difficult to hold a Z body with that massive new lens? I'm not sure I understand Nikon's choice not to make a grip, I feel like it's almost a necessity with such a big lens for handholding.
Surprisingly, when I shoot handheld with my Sigma 150-600 it is not an issue for the most part. The new 70-200 looks much more compact and clean than what I’m currently using for distance shots. I think it will be balanced well and won’t be too difficult.

Now that Nikon's camera strategy is more apparent, I'm pretty sure they'll have a more pro-oriented Z body that will handle these bigger lenses with better handling. ;)

Real Name
Chris
Now that Nikon's camera strategy is more apparent, I'm pretty sure they'll have a more pro-oriented Z body that will handle these bigger lenses with better handling. ;)
Lord help me when and if they do release that body... lmao my wallet already hates me with the current setup haha

Real Name
Rodney
I've done OK with a Z6 and a 70-200 f/4 and, occasionally, a 200-500 f/5.6. My Z has the SmallRig L-bracket which adds a slight bit to the bottom plate and affords a place for my right pinky to rest and help with balance (also makes it possible to mount it on a tripod with the FTZ adaptor attached :) )
I've been looking for an L bracket for my Z6. I've debated the larger one. You think yours was the best choice?

I've been looking for an L bracket for my Z6. I've debated the larger one. You think yours was the best choice?
If you use a FTZ it may the the only way to go. Plus it is only $69 (B&H has them too, or direct from SmallRig) the vertical arm can slide out to allow great access to the various connectors on the left side (Allen wrench is held in place with a magnet).

Real Name
Chris
Three legged thing makes one with the capture plate built onto the bottom that works with my peak design quick capture system that I’ve been eyeballing.

Real Name
Rodney
If you use a FTZ it may the the only way to go. Plus it is only $69 (B&H has them too, or direct from SmallRig) the vertical arm can slide out to allow great access to the various connectors on the left side (Allen wrench is held in place with a magnet).
Wow! I just looked at their product website. For $69 it seems like a steal! Do you have any of the accessories they offer for it?

Lord help me when and if they do release that body... lmao my wallet already hates me with the current setup haha

Once the live view specs of the D6 are released, I'm guessing that will be a sneak peak of what kind of features Nikon's sports-Z camera will have. Also using Sony A9 II prices as an indicator, that camera retails for about $4500 USD, knowing Nikon they'll price their flagship Z body around $5000 USD or more! :D Your wallet will hate you! :LOL:

Real Name
Rodney
I've done OK with a Z6 and a 70-200 f/4 and, occasionally, a 200-500 f/5.6. My Z has the SmallRig L-bracket which adds a slight bit to the bottom plate and affords a place for my right pinky to rest and help with balance (also makes it possible to mount it on a tripod with the FTZ adaptor attached :) )
Oh, I just thought of something. Does the screen still articulate with the small rig L bracket in place?

Real Name
Randy
I was surprised the 70-200/2.8 s is about the same weight as the VR2. I would not want a Z50 on the other end of either and the VR2 with the FTZ might balance better

Have not really had any issue with hand holding the Z7 and the FTZ / 200-500 f5.6, I do have a Kirk "L" bracket attached to the camera, but it doesn't interfere with FTZ adapter whether hand held or on tripod. Also have not had a issue when using the 1.4 TC.

Real Name
Rodney
Did you buy yours direct? I could not find it on the BH website(only saw the cage). I ordered it direct, and I’m wondering how long it will take to arrive. Looks like it comes from China.

What grip are you talking about?

I think it will be fine.
I've shot my 35mm film cameras with a 80-200 zoom and not had any issues.

In looking at the pic of the 70-200 Z lens on the Nikon USA site, it looks awkward, with the forward positioned zoom ring.
1579836020272.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BUT, I recently used the Tamron 70-210/4 with a similar forward zoom ring. I was skeptical at first, but after using it to shoot a soccer game, I found that the forward zoom ring was actually quite easy to use. I could EASILY work the zoom ring with my thumb and fingers.
The camera and lens balanced well with the back of the lens in my the left hand, and I expect the Nikon 70-200/2.8 Z to balance just as well.
So call me a convert to the front zoom ring position.
BUT ONLY if the zoom ring is light and easy to turn with the fingers. IOW an internal zoom.

For reference, I use the tripod foot on my Nikon 70-200/4, and mount it on the lens reversed. Then I rest the foot in my hand, and work the zoom ring with my thumb and fingers.
The forward position of the Tamron zoom ring, eliminates the need to use a tripod foot, as I have to with my Nikon 70-200.

So I was primarily gripping the LENS, I was only holding the body to stabilize the body and press the shutter.
I was NOT HOLDING the body.

Real Name
Rodney
What grip are you talking about?
TBH, I wasn’t aware that there was a battery only grip available when I made this post. So the grip I was referring to was the typical grip that we buy for our DSLR bodies. The ones with the additional shutter release and joystick.

I guess my main concern was shooting the 70-200 on the Z6 or Z7 body in the vertical position. For that matter, any lens shot in the vertical position with that camera and no vertical shutter release could present challenges.

Latest threads

Top Bottom